IDLING TOO HIGH

1996 Toyota Corolla

dansfraz

December, 9, 2011 AT 12:34 AM

I have a 1996 Toyota Corolla. I have a problem with it idling too high. When the engine is warm, it still idles around 1400 rpm. I read that this can usually be solved by cleaning the IACV, but I found that after I cleaned it, the problem still persisted.

I tried unplugging the MAP sensor as well, and the idle dropped while running. I just wasn't sure if this meant the MAP sensor was bad or if it was a normal occurrence. What else can I do to further troubleshoot this problem?

I love this site!

fixitmr

December, 9, 2011 AT 1:38 AM

When did this start? I would clean/check IAC valve as that is the air supply for idle. Any vacuum leaks can cause high idle also.

dansfraz

December, 9, 2011 AT 2:20 AM

The car has idled high as long as I have owned it. I bought it used back in the summer and it has done it ever since. I cleaned the IAC valve and it didnt seem to change at all. What is the best way to check for vacuum leaks?

fixitmr

December, 9, 2011 AT 7:07 PM

You can do a visual for broke/split cracked/loose hoses. You can spray a flammable substance like spray start around gaskets and parts to see if engine speed increases. You can do a smoke test and watch for smoke to be sucked in to leak. Also IAC valve may be bad so cleaning it dont help.

dansfraz

August, 11, 2012 AT 6:26 PM

As suggested, I replaced the IAC valve and the idle improved dramatically. Now it idles high for 5 min or so when cold and around 1100 when warm, much better than the 1600-1800 it had began to idle at.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars