LEAKING ANTIFREEZE

1996 Pontiac Grand Am

water

July, 27, 2013 AT 8:13 AM

The weather has been hot lately. While driving the engine got hot and all the antifreeze blew out and steam blew out of the upper defroster vent. Can't see where the antifreeze coming from because everything is so jammed in there. It's leaking at the rear of the engine around the firewall. It has a 2.4L 4 cyl. Engine. My thoughts are either a heater hose or the heater core. Any thoughts.

Wrenchtech

July, 27, 2013 AT 8:23 AM

Yes, those are 2 possible things. You need to fill the system and pressure test it so you can see exactly where it's leaking from.

water

July, 27, 2013 AT 10:15 AM

I didn't have to pressurize the system. I poured coolant in the reservoir and it leaked out of a rubber hose with bend in it attached to metal fitting on what appears to be attached to a heater core? There's a larger metal fitting attached to metal hose right next to it, both coming out of the firewall. Is there valve or something in that smaller fitting? The fluid just flows out of that hose. Thoughts.

Brad

Wrenchtech

July, 27, 2013 AT 10:29 AM

That's the drain for the AC condensation. You have a heater core leaking.

water

July, 27, 2013 AT 10:39 AM

Thanks. I'm guessing the heater core has to replaced?

Brad

Wrenchtech

July, 27, 2013 AT 10:50 AM

Replaced or bypassed but you won't have any heat if you bypass.

water

July, 28, 2013 AT 8:51 PM

Thanks for your advise. There was a large crack (split) in the plastic hose that connected to the outlet of the plastic bottom (factory OEM) heater core. The (aftermarket, metal with metal outlets) is installed and not leaking. The system appears to working fine. Thanks again for your help.

Brad

Wrenchtech

July, 29, 2013 AT 2:38 AM

You're welcome

Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Radiator Hoses and Thermostat Replacement
Upper and Lower Radiator Hose Replacement