Car won't start

ROB7267
  • 1996 PONTIAC GRAND AM
I changed everything possible to get my car started but, it still wont start.
Saturday, December 18th, 2010 AT 10:47 PM

Is it cranking over and w/n start? If so do below to determine if its fuel or spark problem

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if so, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing

If both fuel and spark is present-check the valve and ignition timing, this will lead you to problems
with compression and valves opening and closing at the wrong time/broken or jumped timing
belt/chain.
Saturday, December 18th, 2010 AT 10:52 PM
ROB7267
Yes I have a white spark and I am getting plenty of gas and all the fuses are good, Coukld it be the computer how can I check it is there an code box under neath the dash on driver side of car?
Saturday, December 18th, 2010 AT 10:59 PM
Check the fuel pressure if its within specs and if the injectors are pulsing
Saturday, December 18th, 2010 AT 11:03 PM
ROB7267
Yes they are pulsing what can I do to get it started?
Saturday, December 18th, 2010 AT 11:18 PM
Did you actually check the fuel pressure with a gauge if so and its within specs-and you're getting spark-time to check the valve and ignition timing as suggested earlier.
Sunday, December 19th, 2010 AT 12:18 AM