1996 Mazda 626 Oil Leak

DADDYROACH007
  • 1996 MAZDA 626
I am driving my brother's 1996 Mazda 626. Oil is dripping from a sensor installed in the engine block just above the oil filter. It appears the sensor has a collar on it that is meant to grab with a wrench to tighten or loosen. It is a very tight spot (under the air intake behind the block). From under the jacked up car I barely managed to get a small pair of pliers on it to try to tighen it and/or remove it to examine it. I had only a little leverage, but I could not budge it. I do not have a repair manual for this car, and I am not even sure I am doing the right thing. I don't even know what sensor I am trying to remove. Request any help in how best to remove, or even the name of the sensor. Thanks, Sean
Wednesday, December 8th, 2010 AT 4:16 PM

It is the oil sending unit. Chances are it needs replaced and not tightened. It is in a bad spot. I usually can get them from the bottom, but that is when the car is on a lift.
Wednesday, December 8th, 2010 AT 4:22 PM
DADDYROACH007
Thanks, Jacobandnickolas. You got me pointed in the right direction. I was able to remove and replace the oil sending unit; leak is fixed.
Wednesday, December 8th, 2010 AT 6:48 PM
Great! Glad it's fixed.

Let us know if you have questions in the future

Take care,
Thursday, December 9th, 2010 AT 12:26 AM