Do you have an answer?

GUNNYUSMC56
  • 1996 LINCOLN CONTINENTAL
My 1996 lincoln cont. Will not start or turn over the engine it has over 96,000 miles could it be the ignition module?
Friday, September 23rd, 2011 AT 2:42 AM

If the starter is working and the engine cranks but doesn't start, check to see if there is spark to the plugs and fuel to the injectors. There are directions on our homepage under the DIY section.

If the engine doesn't turn at all, check battery, check connections and terminals, check to make sure there is power to the starter.
Friday, September 23rd, 2011 AT 2:48 AM
GUNNYUSMC56
I ordered a ignition module, because it would not turn over or do anything. The battery is good to go.
Friday, September 23rd, 2011 AT 3:25 AM
SORTA SHOOTIN' AT THE TARGET IN THE LANE NEXT TO YOU! GONNA HAVE YOU IN THE PITS FOR A SPELL!

WE'RE GONNA MAKE YOU "SNAP IN" FOR A WHILE!

DO YOU HAVE BATTERY VOLTAGE ALL ALONG THE WAY TO THE STARTER?

IF YOU DO, THEN IT'S PREPARED TO TURN OVER. AS SOON AS IT RECEIVES THE SIGNAL FROM YOU TURNING THE KEY TO START!

THAT SIGNAL IS 12 VOLTS SENT SEPARATELY FROM YOUR IGNITION SWITCH, DOWN TO THE LITTLE WIRE THAT ATTACHES TO THE CYLINDER THAT "PIGGY BACKS" ON TOP OF THE STARTER (THE BATTERY WIRE HOOKS TO A BIGGER TERMINAL ON THE SAME CYLINDER)

THE LITTLE WIRE BASICALLY ACTIVATES AN ELECTROMAGNET WHICH SET THE STARTER INTO MOTION

HERE'S THE THING. THE "MODULE" IS PART OF IGNITION (FIRE TO THE PLUGS) IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE STARTER SYSTEM!

THERE MAY BE THINGS ALONG THE WAY, FROM YOUR KEY, TO THE ELECTROMAGNET. LIKE "NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH" POSSIBLY OTHER SAFETY'S THAT COULD BE BAD, PREVENTING THE SIGNAL FROM GETTING THERE

THE OTHER FELLER AND I, PREFER THAT YOU SYSTEMATICALLY, AND ACTUALLY GO THRU AND CLEAN AND TIGHTEN YOUR "BIG BATTERY CABLES" POS AND NEG--ALL CONNECTORS FROM ONE END TO THE OTHER---THEN REPORT BACK THAT THAT CHECK, IS GOOD TO GO

THE REASON WE PRESENT STUFF IN THIS MANNER IS TO ELIMINATE THE EZ STUFF. THEN WORK INTO MORE TESTING, IN ORDER TO ISOLATE, WHICH WAY TO GO. SORTA A SURGICAL AIR STRIKE, INSTEAD OF A ALL OUT BEACH ASSAULT!

IMMA JEEP GUY, JACOBANDNICHOLAS DOES IT ALL, SO HE'S GONNA KNOW MORE ABOUT THE CYBER GOODIES YOUR VEHICLE HAS

'BOUT THE ONLY THING I CAN ADD IS A QUICK TEST TO SEE WHAT'S GOING ON AT THE STARTER

A JUMPER WIRE, FROM POSITIVE BATTERY, TO THE LITTLE WIRE TERMINAL, I MENTIONED ON TOP OF THE STARTER

IF YOU CONNECT A WIRE (LIKE CUT A LAMP CORD, USE ONE CONDUCTOR) ATTACH IT TO THE LITTLE WIRE AT THE STARTER. ON THE BATTERY, TEMPORARILY TOUCH IT TO THE POSITIVE BATTERY TERMINAL

YOUR RIG WILL JUMP/ MAKE A RACKET/ MAYBE SPARKS---DON'T JUMP INTO THOSE PESKY MOVING ENGINE PARTS!

THIS ACTUALLY BYPASSES THE "START POSITION" OF THE KEY---THE ENGINE SHOULD BUMP, OR TURN OVER---IF THE KEY IS "ON", IT SHOULD BUST OFF, AND RUN.

IF NOTHING HAPPENS---IT'S PROBABLY A CONNECTION ALONG THE WAY, BATTERY TO STARTER, WHICH WE PREVIOUSLY TOLD YOU TO CHECK!

IF IT DOES "TURN OVER" WITH THIS JUMPER, TELL US, RATHER JACOBANDNICHOLAS, HE CAN TELL YOU WHAT TO CHECK, FROM THE KEY TO THE ELECTROMAGNET (SOLENOID/ STARTER RELAY? WHATEVER!)

COPEEESH?

Friday, September 23rd, 2011 AT 4:21 AM