BRAKE PEDAL CLEARANCE

1996 Honda Civic

axis

August, 12, 2011 AT 3:32 AM

The brake pedal movement goes down to about 75% from the usual 25%. Im wondering what could have caused the sudden change of clearance. No sign of leaks, tires are still screaming when I hit the brake hard but I think my stopping distance has increased. It seems like only the front brakes are working hard. Could it be possible that one of the rubber caps in the master cylinder has worn-out? But why so sudden? I changed the rubber caps 4 years ago. All oem. Hand brake position and hand braking power is the same as before. All brake pads and shoes are still thick.

This started a week ago right after we changed the gearbox. We did not touch the brakes or any line. I just remembered using the brakes so that my friend could loosen the nut on the axle. Help!

Danlesabre

August, 12, 2011 AT 3:51 AM

Is the red brake light on the dashboard on? Are there drums in the rear? If so have you checked to see if the wheel cylinders are leaking?

axis

August, 12, 2011 AT 6:26 AM

No red lights on the dash. Fluid reservoir is not changing. Drum brakes on the rear. I did not check inside the drum but there are no sign of leaks. Hand brake position is about halfway. I cleaned the drums and pads about a month ago, pads are still thick and everything else looks fine.

August, 12, 2011 AT 1:29 PM

With vehicle stopped, depress and hold the brake pedal lightly, if the peal sinks, after a while, the master cylinder has an inrenal leak.

Using the brakes to loosen the axle nut could have caused the weak pump seals to fail.

axis

August, 12, 2011 AT 3:06 PM

Tnx. Sounds like I need to change the master cylinder. Its been in service for quite some time. The last time I changed the caps, it was from a 95 civic repair kit, 96 kit not available.

Brake Master Cylinder Replacement Like a Pro
Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Element
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front BMW M3
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement Ford Explorer