EARLY IN THE MORNINGS OR LATE IN THE EVENING ...

1996 GMC Jimmy

Anonymous

Early in the mornings or late in the evening when I turn my key over my starter does not fire. I had the battery and starting system checked by a mechanic and they could not find an issue. Put in a new battery 3 weeks ago. I am thinking that maybe the starter relay is int. Failing, but I do not know its location in the vehicle.

Jeff

The starter relay is under the hood on the firewall. #12 in the diagram. With intermittent problems, you have to test when the problem is ongoing. Check voltage circuits at the starter relay, when problem is ongoing. Any starter testing, make sure tranny is in park or neutral and the e-brake is set.

Just to add, in the diagram, terminal 30 is hot all the time. Terminal 85 is voltage for coil side of relay, goes hot with the key in the crank position. When relay is energized that arm with the arrowhead moves to the purple wire.

Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Starter Replacement