I RAN OUT OF GAS LITERALLY DOWN TO FUMES

1996 GMC C2500

AlanF

February, 13, 2013 AT 12:02 AM

I ran out of gas - literally down to fumes. Was across the street from a station, managed to use their can to get less than a gallon in, then it started and we pulled it in to the station. Tried to fill it at the pump, but the gasoline filling at that normal rate spewed back out of the fill opening. This has never happened before. We wondered if there was some sort of blockage, and were able to pass a stiff but flexible plastic tube (about 1/4" dia) through, all the way in to the tank. We got a bit of gas back and decided to try filling through this tube with a funnel. We got 3 gallons in, but decided not to push it, when the tube was removed we could still get a bit of gas to spill out, just a gentle squeeze on the gas tube leading to the tank, so we figured it was still somehow blocked.

is there some reason that the tank would not allow gas in, after running it dry? Drove home and pulled both tubes and they were clear, knowing this we went ahead and filled the tank. Is it possible some one stuffed a sock in there and we pushed it all the way into the tank? Any other ideas?

February, 13, 2013 AT 12:06 AM

No, unless you physically saw the sock.

There is a valve called a vent valve that is supposed to be open. If it is closed, this situation will happen.

Common failure.

AlanF

February, 13, 2013 AT 12:11 AM

How can you be sure that the vent valve is properly open, and does it close when you run down to and out of fumes? Thinking to protect the fuel pump or?

We have no idea of whether there was anything in there, it was all the guys could think of, and seems like dropping the tank is a costly way to check.

If it is running now and took a full tank without spitting gas back, do you think that means the valve is now open?

Thanks.

February, 13, 2013 AT 2:31 AM

I DON'T KNOW YOUR RIG

I DID INVESTIGATE YOUR FILLER NECK

I WENT TO ROCKAUTO.COM INSERTED "GUESSED" INFO THAT YOU DID NOT PROVIDE----CAME UP WITH THIS FILLER NECK

SEE MY PIC---(SCREENSHOT)

MY PALS SAY I WRITE TOO MUCH INFO----SO I DID NOT LOOK FOR OTHER VIEWS OF THE FILLER......NOT EVEN SURE I HAVE THE CORRECT PIC OF YOURS

IT DOES LOOK LIKE IT "COULD" BE MADE VERY SIMILAR TO ONE I SNATCHED UP IN A SALVAGE YARD FROM A DODGE TRUCK.....TO BE USED ON A CJ MEDEVAC-O-MATIC MODIFICATION FOR ONE OF MY JEEPS

SEE MY LINKMORE PICS IN IT!

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2001-dodge-caravan-fuel-tank-filler-neck-restricts-fueling-gauge-irregularities

IF IT WERE MINE, I THINK I'D GIVE IT A WHACK.....WITH A MALLET----ABOVE WHERE THE BALL WOULD BE---DON'T WANNA DENT IT OR MAKE IT OUTTA ROUND

OR TAKE THE HOSE LOOSE AND FIDDLE WITH IT WITH MY FINGERS

YOU CAN INVESTIGATE MY IDEAS MORE, BEFORE YOU PROCEED

February, 13, 2013 AT 2:35 AM

OK HERE'S PICS ONCE MORE

February, 13, 2013 AT 10:10 AM

CJ has a good point. Check it out to see if he is correct.

You can check the vent as it is by the tank with 2 big hoses. One is vented to air.

You should be able to blow through the valve with it disconnected. Check it out to verify

Fuel Filter Change
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Filter Mount Replacement Chevrolet
Fuel Filter Replacment BMW 525i
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Filter Replacement Toyota Tacoma