Fuel Tank Filler Neck Restricts fueling and Fuel Gauge Irregularities

GEDWMS
  • 2001 DODGE CARAVAN
  • 165 MILES
My 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan purchased used in 2003 started having a problem with the fuel backing up into the filler neck when fueling. This problem does not happen on a predictable basis, except perhaps more prone to when refueling with a tank that is near half full. At the same time we started experiencing this problem, it seems the fuel gauge began to stay between full and half for a very long time, then when you go below half full, it falls very rapidly, especially the last quarter tank. I don't know if these two things are related. The last two fuelings I had problems both times when trying to fill with the gauge showing one fourth tank. I ran a small garden hose down the filler neck and it was difficult to advance after about one foot. I was able with difficulty to pass it another 18 - 24 inches but never was able to get to the fuel level but was afraid to push too hard in case their was a screen at the top of the tank. Is this a problem on this model that others have had and can you tell me what to do to fix the problem. It is very annoying to try and fill the tank and the backup shuts off the fuel nozzle every few seconds. Thanks for your help.
Thursday, January 12th, 2012 AT 5:59 PM

I'M NOT REAL SURE HOW YOURS IS

I NEED A FILLER TO MODIFY AND PUT ON A OLD WILLYS JEEP FUEL TANK

THIS ONE JUST SO HAPPENED TO BE LAYING IN THE BED OF DODGE RAM PICKUP TRUCK (WHETHER IT WENT TO THE TRUCK, I DO NT KNOW)

YOURS MAY BE SORTA LIKE THIS--UPON LOOKING THRU "MITCHELL I" I COULD NOT FIND A DIAGRAM OF YOUR SYSTEM

WITH MY SUPER ENGINEERING SKILLS, I THINK THE ONLY REAL REASON FOR A CHECK BALL IS FOR "ANTI SLOSH" AND MIGHT ALSO PREVENT GAS FROM COMING OUT OF THE GAS CAP IF THE VEHICLE TURNED OVER.

I HAVE SEEN THEM BROKEN AND FLOATING AROUND SOMEWHERE IN THE TANK---AND NO REPERCUSSIONS OCCURRED, STILL DROVE FINE, WITH OTHER VEHICLES

THESE TOO MIGHT ALSO PREVENT A "NOVICE SIPHON-ER" FROM STEALING YOUR FUEL. BUT SOMEONE COULD EZily PUNCH THIS THING ON, INTO YOUR TANK. ITS SORDA A FRAGILE CAGE AROUND THE BALL.

WHAT POSSIBLY COULD HAPPEN TO ONE LIKE IN MY PICS, IS A SMALL HOSE, STICK OR FOREIGN OBJECT GET INSERTED INTO IT, AND BROKE OFF WHEN IT WAS SNATCHED OUT OR WAS SMALL AND WEDGED ITSELF BETWEEN THE BALL AND THE CAGE

IT'S ALSO POSSIBLE THAT THE "SEAT" OR PORTION OF THE CAGE THE BALL RESTS IN, WHEN FUEL PUSHES IT UPWARD AFTER YOU ARE FINISHED INSTALLING FUEL. THIS PART MAY BE WORN FROM THE BALL BOUNCING ON IT OVER THE YEARS, AND THE BALL SIMPLY JUST STICKS OR LODGES INTO THE SEAT.

IF YOURS IS LIKE THIS, 1ST INVESTIGATE AT AN AUTO PARTS STORE, CAN YOU GET JUST THE PLASTIC "CHECK VALVE ASSEMBLY" OR MUST YOU BUY THE WHOLE FILLER ASSEMBLY (NAPA, AUTOZONE, ADVANCE AUTO ARE SOME TO CHECK OUT)OR IS THIS STRICTLY A STEALERSHIP ITEM?

THE AUTO SALVAGE YARD IS YET ANOTHER OPTION, AND I GO THERE OFTEN MYSELF

AFTER EXPLORING WHAT YOU CAN DO OR CAN GET AND WHERE IT'S AVAILABLE.I WOULD REMOVE YOURS AND TRY TO DETERMINE IF YOU CAN SIMPLY REMOVE MISSING ACTION FIGURE "DARTH VADER'S LIGHT SABER" FROM THE ASSEMBLY AND ALL BE LIKE NEW. OR DOES IT NEED NEW PARTS?

AS FAR AS THE FUEL SENDER, IT IS MOST LIKELY UNRELATED (BUT YOU NEVER KNOW)

IF YOU CAN LIVE WITH IT. WAIT UNTIL YOU HAVE FUEL PUMP PROBLEMS AND THE TANK MUST COME OUT ANYWAY TO REPLACE THE PUMP AND THE FAULTY SENDER

I'M A GREAT EXAMPLE FOR YOU (PROBABLY NOT PRACTICAL FOR YOU) I NEVER WORRY ABOUT RUNNING OUT OF FUEL ON EITHER OF MY TWO JEEPS, MY CIVILIAN '77 CJ 5, AS WELL AS MY '46 WILLYS ARMY JEEP, BOTH HAVE 5 GALLON CANS ON THE BACK, MOSTLY FOR ME. BUT HAVE HELPED THOSE STRANDED TOO!

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU FIND, I HOPE IT'S EZ!

1ST PIC IS THE TRUCKS FILLER NECK

2ND PIC IS THE BALL IN THE DOWN OR POSITION ITS IN WHILE INSTALLING FUEL

3RD PIC, THE BALL IS UP AND "CHECKING" AS IT FLOATS IN THE FUEL AND SORTA CLOSES OFF THE FILLER TUBE

4TH--MR. JEEP W/ 5 GALLON CAN

5TH--WILLY

6TH--WILLY'S SPARE GO JUICE
Thursday, January 12th, 2012 AT 8:15 PM