1996 FORD F-150 GRINDING NOISE

• shawn j1649
  • 1996 Ford F-150

My truck will make a grinding noise seem to be driver front or middle sometimes starts when a bump is hit then stops when 4x4 button is pushed inside then if pressed again will stop but usually starts again I have manual lockouts that was changed from auto hubs but sometimes can drive for several miles with no noise any ideas of what the problem is or how to narrow it down

Wednesday, June 26th, 2013 AT 4:53 AM

• hmac300

Have your brakes and axles checked

Wednesday, June 26th, 2013 AT 6:02 AM
  • shawn j1649

Thanks a lot for your help. You think it could be a warped rotor and would it be that hard for me to do my self I have some mechanical knowledge but am no mechanic. What would I be looking for signs of wear or damage

Wednesday, June 26th, 2013 AT 6:43 AM
  • hmac300

It cold be a warped rotor if you pedal feels like it's going up and down when braking. But it may be the brake pad warning making the noise as well, meaning it's time for a brake job. You can come to the site h ere and look on right hand side under repairs and it has a video on how to replacae front brake pads.

Wednesday, June 26th, 2013 AT 6:54 AM
  • shawn j1649

Well I don't feel any thing in in the pedal while breaking and why would the grinding vibrating noise came and go and stop when I engage the four wheel drive I have looked at pads and there is at least half left. No squealing noise from the brake pad clip either

Wednesday, June 26th, 2013 AT 6:58 AM
  • hmac300

We can't see it so we just give suggestions it could be rust hitting the rotor as well as that's quite common so check for that, then check the wheel bearings. Also if you see greas splattered all over by axle boots then replace the shafts as they have lost their lube. Easier to replace shafts than boots and repack them. It cold also be a 4wd problem. Like a transfer case. With cases like this it 's better to have a local pro look at it as they will actually hear what you have going on.

Wednesday, June 26th, 2013 AT 8:25 AM
  • shawn j1649

Thanks for the help

Wednesday, June 26th, 2013 AT 8:34 AM