1. Disconnect negative battery cable. Shift transmission into 3rd or 4th gear. Remove shift lever retainer screws and retainer. Remove 8 shift lever boot mounting screws and boot. Remove shift lever insulator. Remove shift lever. Remove 4 exposed bolts on base of housing, not bolts under rubber boot located at top of housing. Remove insulator from transmission case. Raise and support vehicle. Drain transmission fluid.
2. Mark drive shaft for reassembly reference. Remove drive shaft(s). On 4WD, remove transfer case shield. Drain oil from transfer case. Remove vent hose and electrical connectors. Remove transfer case shift linkage. Using a jack, support transfer case. Remove transfer case and discard transmission adapter gasket.
3. On vehicles equipped with drive shaft parking brake, release parking brake. Raise and support vehicle. Remove nut and washer from center of brake drum. Remove drum yoke assembly, bolts, washers and drum yoke. Remove cotter pin, clevis pin, clevis, and nut from brake cable. Remove parking brake cable grommet, and cable from bracket.
4. On all vehicles, disconnect exhaust pipes from exhaust manifold, and catalytic converter from muffler assembly (if necessary). Disconnect electrical connectors from speed sensor and back-up light switch. Using Quick Connect Disconnect Tool (J-36221), remove clutch line from concentric slave cylinder quick connect coupling. Remove starter and clutch housing cover. Remove transmission vent hose.
5. Support transmission and engine. Remove crossmember. Remove clutch plate and clutch cover from flywheel. Remove transmission-to-engine bolts and studs. Pull transmission straight back on clutch hub splines. Remove clutch and clutch cover plates during transmission-to-engine separation. Remove transmission.
Please consider a to help us answer more questions.
Friday, October 19th, 2012 AT 4:32 PM