TROUBLE SHOOTING BRAKE SYSTEM

• Dbatch
  • 1996 Chevrolet Blazer

1996 chevy blazer, replaced brake booster, ran great for 2 days. Front brakes locked-up, had to replace calipers(due to overheating), bleed all 4 wheels, yet brake pedal will still go to floor. And "brake" light on dash comes on. Any suggestions would help.

Sunday, July 8th, 2012 AT 3:48 PM

• hmac300

Have the abs unit checked out and have the master cylinder checked. Make sure your fluid is full on master cylilnder

Sunday, July 8th, 2012 AT 3:54 PM
  • Dbatch

I watch the master cylinder "squirt" fluid in the fluid holding tank. It's only in the front compartment(closest to the booster) the rear brakes don't seem to be getting fluid.
With some one holding the brakes down, I can torn the wheels by hand. When trying to bleed, not really getting any pressure.
Think the master cylinder should be replaced?

Sunday, July 8th, 2012 AT 8:06 PM
  • hmac300

Well try adjusting rear brakes if they are drum type first. The rear takes a hard application to be used. If your brake light is on though it cold be a bad master. Normally a bad master will allow you to pump it up after a few hits. However you could have an abs problem as well with the brake light on. That shold be checked for codes.

Sunday, July 8th, 2012 AT 8:18 PM
  • Dbatch

Don't seem to get any brake fluid at rear brakes when trying to bleed. After a few pumps the brake pedal gets firm, but with constant pressure on it will slowly go to floor. No external leaks can be seen. Never seen the reservoir "gurgle" like this. When brake pressure is applied the forward compartment "squirts" in the res. Any Ideas?

Monday, July 9th, 2012 AT 2:27 AM
  • hmac300

This is typical of a bad master cylinder like I said in the last answer

Monday, July 9th, 2012 AT 2:17 PM