CAR STARTED MAKING NOISE KIND OF HISSSSSSS FROM ENGINE

1996 Acura Integra

PatrickAcura

September, 2, 2012 AT 7:10 AM

Hi my car started making a kind of hisssss noise from engine. This happens when I travel for 30 miles on freeway and enter into city roads. Car does not make any noise when I first start. I observed this three times but not always. Can you please advice what could go wrong?

I will take it to mechanic but just wanted to get your opinion as well.

Thanks,
Prasad

September, 2, 2012 AT 11:22 AM

When noise occrs you need to find out where it is being emitted. We are not able to determine what is causing nosies so you need to be able to tel us its location.

Is the temperature gauge normal?
Do you have coolant losses issues?
Check the drive belts.

djcl

September, 2, 2012 AT 11:38 AM

Will it make the noise at idle or when giving it gas

PatrickAcura

September, 2, 2012 AT 4:07 PM

I'm not sure about the location. It makes noise while running, with and without giving gas.

September, 2, 2012 AT 4:29 PM

When noise starts, does it go away when vehicle is stopped with engine running?

PatrickAcura

September, 2, 2012 AT 4:50 PM

No, noise stays on when I parked the vehicle. However noise go away when I turn off engine and start again. One thing is its not consistent. I observed the noise couple of times after long drives. The noise was there when I travelled one way and not in the way back.

Thank you.

September, 2, 2012 AT 4:57 PM

Get a hose to act as stethoscope and try to locate the noise. Most likely to be drive belt related. Is noise coming from front of engine?

PatrickAcura

September, 2, 2012 AT 5:05 PM

Yes it comes from front of the engine on left side. If it is drive belt related, what would be the cost to fix it? The timing belt is replaced around 6 months ago with the full kit.

September, 2, 2012 AT 5:15 PM

Not the timing belt. Should be external drivebelts. Front of engine on left side is the alternator and power steering belts. Check their condition and tension. It could be a failing harmonic damper and cost would depend on what needs to be repaired/replaced. You need a local quote to be accurate.

Check the power steering fluid level and condition. Do you have any indicator lights showing in dash?

PatrickAcura

September, 2, 2012 AT 5:33 PM

Thank you. No idicator flashes currently.I will take it to mechanic, my concern is how soon should I take it to mechanic. Is it risky to drive having this kind of problem?

September, 2, 2012 AT 5:47 PM

If the noise is intermittent and not there all the time, it is not serious yet but it is always good to get problems rectified asap. You could have a failing alternator which can leave you stranded.

Door Lock Replacement Toyota 4Runner
Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Windshield Wiper Replacement
Wiper Blade Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Windshield Wiper Blade Replacement Volkswagen
Wiper Blade Replacement Chevrolet Camaro
Trunk Shock Replacement Porsche Carrera 911