Cranks but no start

TYPERRACER96
  • 1996 ACURA INTEGRA

So far number twelve and twenty four fuses have blown. I tried checking for spark also and cannot seem to figure out why when I replaced fuses they blow out again. I checked main relay as well, seems fine, no cracks in the solder. Distributor cap and rotor were replaced, but no spark seems to come from the coil either. I do not know where to start now.

Wednesday, September 25th, 2013 AT 8:19 PM

Check fuse forty two under hood as well as PGM relay under dash. Scan for codes if no codes, check crank and cam sensors for resistance. We have no figures on those so check against new.

Thursday, September 26th, 2013 AT 7:27 AM
KURB
  • 1996 ACURA INTEGRA

Four cylinder two wheel drive manual 180,000 miles

This is an intermittent problem. The car will not start although I hear a click when I try to start. The battery is fine, boost charge does not help. I have to push start to get it going. It is working fine now, but I never know when it will not start again.

Thursday, January 26th, 2017 AT 6:51 PM (Merged)

Hi Kurb, Welcome to 2carpros and thank you for the donation.

Probable causes here could be the starter motor, clutch switch, starter motor cut relay and ignition switch. Double check battery condition and connections.

KURB

I hear a soft click inside the car and a louder click outside the car. This tells me that the that the ignition switch, the clutch switch are fine and that the solenoid is getting power. The battery was checked and that is fine. That leaves the starter. The starter does not turn at all. You mention the starter motor cut out. What is this? If I have the starter motor replaced do you think this should do it?

Check and test the starter motor cut relay located above left kick panel. Do this try to engage the starter motor without the key at the starter motor solenoid and see if it engages the engine.

KURB

Thank you. I am not car savvy so I was not too clear on your instructions. Did you mean test the starter motor by connecting power from battery directly to starter motor, and so bypass the solenoid? Not sure what the kick panel is and what the cut off relay does or looks like.

NLR_RIDER
  • 1996 ACURA INTEGRA

Four cylinder front wheel drive automatic 169,000 miles

hi, my car starts fine when I start it for the first time in the day, once it warms up and I try to start it again it tries to start, but it does not. The car starts to smell like gas. I do not have very much money to take it to a mechanic so please help.I was thinking that it might be the fuel filter? Oh, and I tried to put some of that fuel cleaner in the gas tank but it did not help at all. If you could get back to me I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you, Wendy

Check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter and the fuel pump. Could also be losing fuel pressure if the injector/s or the fuel pressure regulator are leaking.

DINO.1324
  • 1996 ACURA INTEGRA

Four cylinder front wheel drive automatic

the car has no power in run mode. Turns over but when you let go off the key it shuts off. The only thing with power is the radio.

MHPAUTOS

Hi there,

Do you have dash instruments active? If not start checking for a fuse or fusible link problem, and do a scan to check for any set fault codes, start here.

F4I_GUY

Ignition switches are common on these cars. That may be a possibility, but not my first guess.

I need more information in order to help you out more. How does the car crank? Slow? Normal? Have you checked the battery and the connections? Are they loose? Corroded? Absolutely no lights on the dash illuminate? If you turn the headlights on, do the cluster lights come on?

First thing I would do is check fuses and connections, then go from there.

LUCKYSPOT
  • 1996 ACURA INTEGRA

Four cylinder two wheel drive automatic 150,000 miles

when I try to turn on my car it will not turn on. It will not click over. Everything else works like the lights, A/C, radio, but I can turn on the car when I touch the two wires together from the starter with a electrical wire? Can you help me?

F4I_GUY

Check to see if you have battery voltage at the larger power wire on the starter. If you do, then check the smaller wire while somebody cranks the vehicle. If you are missing power, something is wrong. Check your fuses, relays, ignition switch, etc.

JOHN BOLSUC
  • 1996 ACURA INTEGRA

i have had my arc sitting out side for about four month now, I park it in the winter time. It started no problem when it was in the garage, but when I put it outside and then tried to start it after four months, it turns over no problem, I hear the fuel pump kicking in I smell gas, but it will not start. It sound like it is not getting any spark. What would be the problem? I have no money and been off work for four months so I cannot afford to take it in. Can you please help me?

Disconnect a spark plug wire or two and ground it to the engine have helper crank engine over, do you have a snapping blue spark? If so, you have a fuel related problem. Check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors.

DEACON423
  • 1996 ACURA INTEGRA

Four cylinder front wheel drive automatic 90,000 miles

so they car ran fine up until my friends tried to install an amp for my speakers in my car. The amp kept blowing the fuse so we gave up. I went to start my car and everything came on lights, radio, but the car did not, no sounds no clicking no nothing, so I figured the battery had drain out. Lights were on doors were open. I will pop start it drive it home, I got it home ran smoothly the whole way music and all. Got home tried to start it, nothing. Check all the fuses all are fine except one changed it still nothing.

KHLOW2008

Hi Deacon423,

Here is a schematic of the starting circuit.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_Starting96IntegraFig45a_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_Starting96IntegraFig45b_1.jpg

If vehicle is equipped with security system, check the security cut relay, starter cut relay, ignition switch, clutch interlock switch and starter solenoid wire.

IN.NEED
  • 1996 ACURA INTEGRA

Four cylinder front wheel drive manual

I have had no previous problems with my car. But about two weeks ago I drove my car to the store, and when I returned my car would not start. My car has fuel, I checked the, battery, spark plugs, spark plug wires, the fuses, I replaced, the distributor cap, coil, modulator. I tried using starter fluid, but it does not work. When I turn the key to start the car the starter engages, but the engine does not turn on. I can hear the fuel going through the injectors, but I do not know why it will not start. It is not my air intake. Also, when I tried using an obdII it kept reading "error".

F4I_GUY

Have you checked for good strong spark? These vehicles are known for failing ignition coils and ICM (both located inside the distributor).

ENGINE972
  • 1996 ACURA INTEGRA

i replaced the head and the engine was turning over fine, but would not start. Now it cranks over extremely slow. I replaced the starter and it is doing the same thing.

Thursday, January 26th, 2017 AT 6:52 PM (Merged)