WONT START AGAIN.. DIFFERENT THAN LAST TIME THOUGH

1995 Nissan Quest

TyAzz

Van wont Start, no crank.
Power to everything
Small Black wire at solenoid gets 12v w key turned to start
Battery good

Initally, the van wouldnt start because of a break in a wire going to the neutral safety switch. I took out the battery box, air box, and most air hoses to get to the wire. Reconnected it, and the van cranked. Put everything back in, and now the van wont crank. Somewhere along the line, something went wrong.

fixitmr

January, 4, 2012 AT 2:44 AM

Make sure battery connections are good both ends of cable. If starter has ground and hot to main posts and small post is getting signal from key then it should work? Try rapping on starter while key is at start?

TyAzz

Tried all that. Tried crossing the terminals of solenoid with screwdriver when key turned to start. Connections are all good. Only thing I can think is maybe some rust or corrosion is weakening a connection or opened up a wire somewhere while wrenching around. Where can I find a schematic to start testing all parts of the circuit?

If you have battery voltage to the starter and solenoid and it won't crank, you have a failed starter.
The brushes are worn resulting in no continuity in the circuit.

TyAzz

I took it out and had it tested at autozone. It passes the test. Could it still be bad? But I noticed something today. When I shift to reverse or drive, the neutral safety switches buzzes for a second or two. Could that be the problem? Or a problem in general?

Yes it can but you tried bypassing the ignition and neutral switches and the starter did not crank, that is a different story.

TyAzz

So you're suggesting to replace the starter?

Remove the end cap of the stater and check the carbon brushes. If they are almost worn, some knocking around would make the starter work but it is going to fail anytime.

TyAzz

So if the brushings are worn, replace it. And if they aren't?

If they are, you ned to reinstall the stater and retest again to confirm what is at fault, whether it is the wiring or switches.

TyAzz

January, 14, 2012 AT 12:36 AM

It was the starter/solenoid. Never trust the test machine at autozone.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang