Suddent Wont Turn Over

TYAZZ
  • 1995 NISSAN QUEST
My 95 Nissan Quest won't start. When I turn the key there's no sound from the starter, but everything gets power. I checked all fuses and relays. The starter never showed signs of decline, never the normal clicking. I clean the battery terminals and volt tested where the postive wire connects to the starter. Also I find it strange when I turn the key, the headlights don't dim. Could it be anything other than the starter?
Friday, July 15th, 2011 AT 4:03 PM

DOCFIXIT
Use a test light or meter check for voltage on small solenoid Red/White wire when key is turned to start. If yes then starter if no then inhiberter switch or ignition
Friday, July 15th, 2011 AT 4:11 PM
TYAZZ
That makes sense. Do you mean if the solenoid is showing 12 volts, its the starter, if its not then its the inhiberter or ignition? How would I know if its either ignition or inhiberter?
Friday, July 15th, 2011 AT 4:43 PM
DOCFIXIT
If voltage at solenoid the starte if not reply back will guide you through tests
Friday, July 15th, 2011 AT 4:45 PM
TYAZZ
There are 12v at the solenoid. Its actually the same spot I checked it originally. Its the only visable spot on the starter where wires are attached. So that means change the starter? Is it that rare for the starter to die without any signs?
Friday, July 15th, 2011 AT 10:57 PM
DOCFIXIT
Wire need to check is a conector on solenoid with SMALL size wire must have 12v whenkey is turned to start see diagram
Saturday, July 16th, 2011 AT 5:48 PM
TYAZZ
Ok. The small wire is only getting 0.48v at time of ignition. The wire that plugs into the solenoid wire is getting 12v. I had a hard time finding the small wire because its black, and is on the underside of the solenoid.
Sunday, July 17th, 2011 AT 5:29 PM
TYAZZ
WSo how do I figure out if its the ignition, ignition switch, inhibiter relay, or inhibiter switch? There are no other relays in the van that are the same as the inhibiter, so I can't just swap them.
Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 AT 10:06 AM