I HAVE IDLE ISSUES

1995 Mazda Protege

chrisalexander

I have idle issues. The problems are, loss of power sometimes, would idle ok in park or neutral sometimes and sometimes it is rough. In gear it usually idles rough. Gets worse as gas gets low. Most recent it started to die in park and neutral. Oil level is good no signs of coolant. Coolant does not over heat and good. Transmission fluid is good. Somethings I have done. Cleaned the maf, egr, looked for cracks in air intake houseing, looked for and listened for vacum leaks, added gas and oil additives. I will be replacing plugs, wires and such today then fuel filter if still not fixed. Other things need addressed and not sure if it has any wierd conections. Brake fluid leak in one of the drums. Front brake discs and pads need replacing. Driverside break light goes out when lights are on even after bulb replaced. No check engine lights, no oil lights. Had corrosion on battery terminals but cleaned off with wire brush. Starter sometimes gets stuck. Once in a awhile a quick squeal from belts when starting. If possible to list things to check from most probable to not as likely would be very helpful. Trying to keep costs as low as possible and will be doing work myself. Thanks in advance. Chris

Running Rough

Idles Rough/changed Ects

Jacobandnickolas

It sounds like you have a lot of work. As far as the brake fluid leaking, that sounds like a bad wheel cylinder. As far as the idle and engine problem. Has the check engine light ever come on? Have you checked for trouble codes? Have you checked fuel pump pressure? Have you checked the IAC, Idle air control valve?

chrisalexander

Yeah lots of work. I recently purchased this one for a very low price knowing id have to put work into it. No engine lights ever come on. Have not checked for trouble codes. Havent checked fuel pump pressure or iac valve yet. After the initial things I done it did get better for a week but heading back down hill again. I have also been using 92 gas not sure if it really makes a difference but just incase. Ill have to look and see what kind of reader this one uses. Do you have a recomendation on where I should begin?

Jacobandnickolas

I would fix the brakes first. Lol Then check the fuel pressure.

chrisalexander

Ok thanks. Ill update my progress as I go.

chrisalexander

January, 28, 2013 AT 12:41 AM

I replaced the rotor, cap, wires and plugs and the idle issues went away. Replaced rear brake shoes and found the leak. One of the cylinder is leaking. At least its running good. Now to just head down the list of things to do.

Jacobandnickolas

January, 28, 2013 AT 3:38 AM

Great! Glad you got it running good. Make sure to replace the wheel cylinder and properly bleed it.