How are all of you doing, I found out the EGR code it was the 401 code so what would I have to do

MONEYSAM
  • 1995 LEXUS ES 300
  • 234 MILES

I just left pep boys they said I needed the egr transducer and the egr solenoid.

Tuesday, April 3rd, 2012 AT 5:19 PM

SATURNTECH9

So did they test anything or just say there bad because of the code?You may only need one or both or a different problem all together. In all my years of working for dealerships I have learned to not trust someone elses diagnoses even from fellow techs at the dealers I worked at. They burned me more then once on there diagnoses and when they wernt there and the customer came back for the repair I was left holding the bag.

Tuesday, April 3rd, 2012 AT 5:31 PM
SATURNTECH9

Iposted the trouble tree for code P0401 also are sure the egr port isnt clogged?That code is for egr insufficent flow if the port is clogged it will also set that code.

Tuesday, April 3rd, 2012 AT 7:30 PM
MONEYSAM

Thanks alot I plan on goin to uti I just really wish I had my own scantool so many people try to trick ya

Tuesday, April 3rd, 2012 AT 8:50 PM
SATURNTECH9

Your welcome thats what were here for scan tools are handy to have couldnt live without one in these days we live.

Tuesday, April 3rd, 2012 AT 8:59 PM
MONEYSAM

Well my engine light went out after I changed the egr vacuum solenoid, I also changed the egr vsv. Hopefully the light stays off. One thing about it my fuel hand is still drifting up and down from the actual level I think without the engine light on.

Thursday, April 5th, 2012 AT 7:53 PM
SATURNTECH9

Glad to hear the light is off most likely is a bad fuel sending unit. You can test it with a multimeter.

Thursday, April 5th, 2012 AT 8:09 PM
MONEYSAM

Ok how could I do that. I really appreciate everything when I get some bread on my card im gne give a donation. I been tinkering with cars since I was 12 and all of this was a challenge but I learned alot from it.

Thursday, April 5th, 2012 AT 8:13 PM
MONEYSAM

How am I suppose to check the fuel sending unit

Thursday, April 5th, 2012 AT 10:58 PM
SATURNTECH9

First thing you need to do is see if you can locate a pig tail that connects to the gas tank?Also does the gauge drift on a regular basis so it can be easly tested when its acting up?

Friday, April 6th, 2012 AT 4:37 PM
MONEYSAM

Yea seem like when I hit a bump it go back to where it was at first but din it will slowly drift down

Friday, April 6th, 2012 AT 5:25 PM
SATURNTECH9

Find the connector and we will talk I will walk you thru it.

Friday, April 6th, 2012 AT 11:47 PM
MONEYSAM

Ok just gettin back online I gotta get a multimeter its gne b a while I dnt have no cash right now.

Monday, April 9th, 2012 AT 1:31 PM
SATURNTECH9

Alright no problem let me know when you get the metter and find thr pig tail off the gas tank.

Monday, April 9th, 2012 AT 7:39 PM
MONEYSAM

Ok I wanna ask you this are there any other things I could check that would cause my car to consume gas without the engine light on I think the idle is up a lil too high but I could be wrong before 1000 rpm theres a smaller thicker line and thats where it suppose to rest I think but I think its up just a tad bit instead of pointed straight at the line.

Monday, April 9th, 2012 AT 8:43 PM
SATURNTECH9

What does your car idle at in park rpm wise?Also how many miles per gallon are you getting?

Monday, April 9th, 2012 AT 10:43 PM
MONEYSAM

Ok im going to explain as good as possible ok zero has a line the idle hand is at the 3rd line from the zero line I could send a pic well its at the 3rd line. Counting the zero line

Tuesday, April 10th, 2012 AT 7:14 AM
SATURNTECH9

Please post a pic that would really help.

Tuesday, April 10th, 2012 AT 4:16 PM
MONEYSAM

Its probly not that good of a pic but thats where the idle usually rest I think its at half of 1000 rpm dnt really know

Wednesday, April 11th, 2012 AT 1:20 AM
MONEYSAM

This is a better one its on the third line below 1000 rpm

Wednesday, April 11th, 2012 AT 1:25 AM
SATURNTECH9

So about 800rpms?

Wednesday, April 11th, 2012 AT 3:40 AM