ENGINE CRANKS BUT WON'T START

• RFogal
  • 1995 Ford Taurus

Won't start. Turn on ignition, fuel pump runs and won't stop, fan runs, ODBC won't display codes (light on solid). So far replaced fuel pump (twice) Fuel pressure regulator, CCRM. Ran a new ground wire for CCRM. Engine occasionally starts but only if the following happens: turn key on (But not crank)Fan does not run, Fuel pump runs then stops, Then it will start. It runs about 2 min then dies. As soon as it dies the fan turns on.(This only happened 3 times in 2 days!)

Saturday, July 14th, 2012 AT 11:00 PM

• rasmataz

Engine cranks and no start: Go to this walk thru link: http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start, then let me know-

Saturday, July 14th, 2012 AT 11:09 PM
  • RFogal

There is plenty of spark. Obviously there is compression. There is plenty of fuel pressure. I cannot remember the reading but it was sufficient. The problem is electrical. The fan is not supposed to run when the ignition switch is turned on. The fuel pump is not supposed to keep running. When these things do not happen the engine runs.

Saturday, July 14th, 2012 AT 11:19 PM
  • rasmataz

What liter engine?

Saturday, July 14th, 2012 AT 11:28 PM
  • RFogal

3.0 V6 Single Cam

Sunday, July 15th, 2012 AT 12:07 AM
  • rasmataz

Check and test the coolant temperature sensor, check the CCRM wiring back to the computer and computer itself

Sunday, July 15th, 2012 AT 12:20 AM
  • RFogal

OK. Will test tomorrow and get back to you. Thanks.

Sunday, July 15th, 2012 AT 12:26 AM
  • RFogal

Sorry, I just remembered, if you pull the 50Amp fuse for the fan, the fuel pump still runs constantly and the engine does not start.

Sunday, July 15th, 2012 AT 12:41 AM
  • RFogal

Check out the fan circuit as directed. That was a waste of time. /Having a wiring diagram without knowing the sequence of events is practically useless. Anyway, the problem has been solved. Swapped the PCM/ECU/Brain with a 1991 Taurus that I had and Viola! It worked! Admittedly the 1991 is not a perfect replacement for the 1995, the car runs a little weird. But now I can order the proper one with confidence. Hope this post helps someone. This drove me nuts!

Sunday, July 15th, 2012 AT 10:07 PM
  • rivermikerat

Thanks for letting us know, and sorry we couldn't help you better with the diagnostic steps we provided.

Friday, July 20th, 2012 AT 1:58 AM
  • rasmataz

I gave you the sequences: and computer itself, If the fuse and CCRM checks out okay-last place is the computer-Viola it is-

Friday, July 20th, 2012 AT 10:55 AM