ENGINE CRANKS BUT WON'T START

1995 Ford Taurus

RFogal

July, 14, 2012 AT 11:00 PM

Won't start. Turn on ignition, fuel pump runs and won't stop, fan runs, ODBC won't display codes (light on solid). So far replaced fuel pump (twice) Fuel pressure regulator, CCRM. Ran a new ground wire for CCRM. Engine occasionally starts but only if the following happens: turn key on (But not crank)Fan does not run, Fuel pump runs then stops, Then it will start. It runs about 2 min then dies. As soon as it dies the fan turns on.(This only happened 3 times in 2 days!)

July, 14, 2012 AT 11:09 PM

Engine cranks and no start: Go to this walk thru link: http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start, then let me know-

RFogal

July, 14, 2012 AT 11:19 PM

There is plenty of spark. Obviously there is compression. There is plenty of fuel pressure. I cannot remember the reading but it was sufficient. The problem is electrical. The fan is not supposed to run when the ignition switch is turned on. The fuel pump is not supposed to keep running. When these things do not happen the engine runs.

July, 14, 2012 AT 11:28 PM

What liter engine?

RFogal

July, 15, 2012 AT 12:07 AM

3.0 V6 Single Cam

July, 15, 2012 AT 12:20 AM

Check and test the coolant temperature sensor, check the CCRM wiring back to the computer and computer itself

RFogal

July, 15, 2012 AT 12:26 AM

OK. Will test tomorrow and get back to you. Thanks.

RFogal

July, 15, 2012 AT 12:41 AM

Sorry, I just remembered, if you pull the 50Amp fuse for the fan, the fuel pump still runs constantly and the engine does not start.

RFogal

July, 15, 2012 AT 10:07 PM

Check out the fan circuit as directed. That was a waste of time. /Having a wiring diagram without knowing the sequence of events is practically useless. Anyway, the problem has been solved. Swapped the PCM/ECU/Brain with a 1991 Taurus that I had and Viola! It worked! Admittedly the 1991 is not a perfect replacement for the 1995, the car runs a little weird. But now I can order the proper one with confidence. Hope this post helps someone. This drove me nuts!

rivermikerat

July, 20, 2012 AT 1:58 AM

Thanks for letting us know, and sorry we couldn't help you better with the diagnostic steps we provided.

July, 20, 2012 AT 10:55 AM

I gave you the sequences: and computer itself, If the fuse and CCRM checks out okay-last place is the computer-Viola it is-

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right