4X4 - ROUGH IDLE

1995 Ford Explorer

Justin Adair

February, 21, 2012 AT 4:14 PM

I have a 1995 Ford Explorer 4X4 Eddie Bauer Edition. It is idling around 550-600 RPM's in Park and Neutral and 475-500 RPM's in Reverse or Drive and causing the truck to shake. I thought it may have been bad gas but I have ran it down to a quarter tank and filled with Chevron gas and fuel treatment since then and it is still doing the same thing. In the morning when I first start the vehicle it will run smooth until it warms up or if I change the gear.

Here is what I have done so far.
*Checked Vehicle Fluids
*Checked for Vacuum Leaks
*Changed the Fuel Filter
*Changed the PCV Valve (It was no good)
*Changed the Idle Air Control Valve
*Cleaned the Throttle Body
*Cleaned the MAF Sensor
*Oil Change Performed (2 months ago)
*Spark Plugs Replace (4 months ago)(Did not change wires)

Thanks! I hope I gave enough information that someone can help!

fixitmr

February, 21, 2012 AT 5:01 PM

Maybe wires would be next? Especially if original?

Justin Adair

February, 21, 2012 AT 5:14 PM

I have no clue. I might try changing the Plugs and wires both this time. See when I got the vehicle last year. It had a rough idle and drove really rough as well. I changed the spark plugs and that seemed to have fixed the issue last time. Every other plug was bad and was black on the bottom and some appeared to have oil on them. But this time it seems different. Needless to say it was not well maintained. I have also replaced the Radiator, front rotors and brakes on this vehicle because they were bad as well.

Justin Adair

February, 21, 2012 AT 8:19 PM

Okay I had a diagnostic ran on the truck. It said there was a random misfire on Cylinder 6 or something like that. This vehicle has a 4.0L E.F.I.

fixitmr

February, 21, 2012 AT 9:24 PM

So you gonna try wires and plugs?

Justin Adair

February, 21, 2012 AT 10:23 PM

Yeah it seems like a logical thing to do considering if you reach and try to push on one of the plugs while its running it shocks you. Maybe a new coil pack is a good idea as well. If all else fails a new MAF and Intake Gasket will be next because the EGR valve appears to be working correctly.

Cylinder Head Valve Job Guide
Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz C230