MY TRUCK MAKES A SHHHH SOUND WHEN I ACCELERATE THE AIR PEDAL.?

1995 Chevrolet S-10

jojos10

October, 7, 2012 AT 8:59 PM

I had my catalytic converter checked that's not it, plus my truck jerks if I accelerate to fast also I can press the air pedal all the way down and it wont speed up at all, I checked my transmission, it switch gears my belt is good. So, over all I hear the "sHHHHH" sound only when I accelerate the air pedal, and when I accelerate fast from stop position it wont move fast it will climb RPMS slow.

October, 7, 2012 AT 9:49 PM

Sounds like the cat converter is clogged. Have the back pressure checked to verify

October, 7, 2012 AT 9:49 PM

Did you check for trouble codes? Is the Malfunction Indicator Light showing?
Noise described seems to indicate a leak somewhere or clogging in exhaust system.

jojos10

October, 7, 2012 AT 10:26 PM

Roy yes it was checked, also, no cel comes on.

October, 7, 2012 AT 10:36 PM

How was it checked? What was the back pressure measurement?

jojos10

October, 7, 2012 AT 11:33 PM

I saw him put his hand over tail pipe.

October, 7, 2012 AT 11:36 PM

Thats not a test. It can still pass enough exhaust to feel it but not let the engine breathe.

Thats why you need to measure the back pressure.

jojos10

October, 8, 2012 AT 2:26 AM

@ Roy I just had my cat converter installed a month ago my engine is good, it never blow black smoke out the tail pipe also, thank you for taking the time to help me with this problem.

evolve960

October, 10, 2012 AT 12:37 AM

Sounds like a gross vacuum leak actually, something intake side or brake booster. Those are the biggest lines you have in the system ( 1/4 ) some larger. Especially if its leaking to the booster that will cause a whole host of issues. If vacuum is dropping in the system it also could be shutting down the fuel pressure regulator which would allow more fuel into the rail under hard acceleration.

jojos10

October, 10, 2012 AT 1:00 AM

I found out it is the EXHAUST manifold flange gasket. May I ask will this cause all these symptoms?

October, 10, 2012 AT 1:46 AM

Yes, exhaust leaks can cause performance related issues. Have it rectified first.