95 Lumina brake lights

DKLEINJR
  • 1995 CHEVROLET LUMINA
  • 135 MILES
I have a 95 chevy lumina and my brake lights quit working on me. The tail lights, hazard lights and turn signals are working but the brake lights are not, including the 3rd light in the rear window. I checked the fuses and there all fine any other ideas what I can do to try to fix this? The shops here are closed and I need the vehicle for the weekend for work.
Friday, February 18th, 2011 AT 9:54 PM

Maybe an issue with brake switch, check feed/voltage to and from the brake switch.
Friday, February 18th, 2011 AT 10:01 PM
To add, At the brake switch, orange wire is hot all the time. White wire goes hot when the switch is activated.
Friday, February 18th, 2011 AT 10:05 PM
DKLEINJR
Ok, is this the fuse block in the car, passenger side or drivers side? Also where exactly is this switch located if it is that. And could it just all of a sudden go bad because of a accident? They stopped working when my girlfriend was backing out of our driveway and was constricted of field of vision from a snowbank and someone struck her in the rear drivers side bumper area. It tore down the bumper cover a little but that is really the only damage done to the vehicle. The wires leading to the brake lights are exposed in the crack of the bumper cover but there looks to be no cuts or breaks in the wires, and even so I do not see this making the rear window brake light stop as well. I am looking at the auto part stores listings for switches and they come up with Parking Brake Switch and Stoplight Switch, which of these is the correct switch in witch you speak of?

Thanks for the help you have already given me and I greatly appreciate anymore you can give.
Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 4:35 PM
The picture is the brake pedal switch, it is activated by the brake pedal arm. You have to follow the brake pedal arm upward to find the switch.
Saturday, February 19th, 2011 AT 5:29 PM
DKLEINJR
Well I didnt have the tool on hand to test the voltage of the brake switch but the part was only a few dollars so I bought and replaced it tonight. However it did nothing to correct the problem. Knowing that the switch is indeed not bad where should I look next?
Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 5:27 AM
Do voltage test.
Sunday, February 20th, 2011 AT 4:14 PM