94 TOYOTA COROLLA ENGINE MAKING RATTLING NOISE, SLOW ACCEL AND STALLING..

• MikeCarillo
  • 1994 Toyota Corolla

I have a 1994 Corolla that just had a water pump replaced. After which the car started running with a tiny miss. After the car was warmed up I took it for a ride and and made a really horrible noise like spark ping but LOUD! It has slow acceleration as well as stalling when I come to a stop sign. Timing belt was replaced a few years ago. What can it be? It happened right after the Water pump was replaced.

Thursday, December 1st, 2011 AT 11:16 PM

• M_H_RITZEL

Check the wires to see if there is a crossed wire, If you deid anything withe the plug wires it sounds that two spark plug wires are crossed. That would cause the misfire and ping. Just by reading your post to me that is what happened.

Thursday, December 1st, 2011 AT 11:35 PM
  • MikeCarillo

I did not remove the wires, Only the alternator, power steering pump, and replaced the water pump. I had to lift the valve cover to get the top timing cover off but I just let the spark plug wires sit in their holes.

Friday, December 2nd, 2011 AT 12:25 AM
  • MikeCarillo

It runs fairly decent at idle in park with an occasional slight hiccup. I can rev the engine in park. But When I drive it, that is when the pinging is extremely loud with crappy acceleration and stalls at full stops.

Friday, December 2nd, 2011 AT 12:27 AM
  • M_H_RITZEL

With it at idle there is no load on the engine or just reving, Did you take the spark plug wires off when you replaced the pump? It also might be just one wire that is not making a good contact or not on tight, so the car is running on 3 cylinders. Check the wires and let me know what you find out.

Friday, December 2nd, 2011 AT 4:16 PM
  • MikeCarillo

The wires are all fine. It is running better today with 93 octane, but it still has a bad rattle on acceleration.

Friday, December 2nd, 2011 AT 9:04 PM
  • M_H_RITZEL

Have the car scanned and check the timing

Friday, December 2nd, 2011 AT 10:13 PM