MY CAR JUST SHUT OFF ONE DAY AND DID NOT START

1994 Toyota Camry

JAyla2

March, 2, 2013 AT 7:20 PM

Hi my car just shut off one day and did not start. The dashboard light for the battery and oil does not come on but the seat beat and air bag do. I thought it was the ignition switch so I changed that but it still not rolling over. It starts but doesn't stay start

freemba

March, 2, 2013 AT 7:36 PM

Check the fuel pump pressure. Often when a fuel pump goes bad the engine will attempt to start but only run for a second or two.

I think that I'm reading this right. Are you saying that the engine will run but not for very long; or are you saying that the engine will not spin over when you turn the key?

JAyla2

March, 2, 2013 AT 8:00 PM

It's not the fuel pump. It cranks but it would not start. As along as I am turning the key starts but it don't stay. I Changed the ignition switch but the battery light and oil does not come on the dash could it have a blown fuse

freemba

March, 2, 2013 AT 10:07 PM

Check the fuses (underdash and underhood). However, having the fuel pump pressure would help me to eliminate on possibility. If it starts then it must have a spark (only needs fuel, spark [at the right time] and compression to run). If fuel pressure and spark are present, I would then suspect timing belt problems--but this is harder to diagnose than simply checking the fuel pressure, that's why I suggested it first). If you are sure that the fuel pressure is OK then this is the next step: Finding TDC
To find TDC of the number one cylinder, remove the spark plug from the number one cylinder. Stuff a paper towel or rag into the spark plug hole (don t push it all the way into the engine, but make sure that it covers the spark plug hole entirely and is tightly stuffed in. Now, turn the starter for only about second intervals (this is called bumping the starter ) until the rag/paper towel flies out of the spark plug hole. Stop turning the starter and check for the location of the timing indicator on the crankshaft pulley (harmonic balancer). Using a breaker bar and socket turn the engine by hand by putting the socket on the center crankshaft pulley bolt. Turn the engine until the timing make is aligned with the 0 or TDC mark on the timing cover. Now find the terminal on the distributor cap where the number one spark plug wires plugs onto. Remember this position; DO NOT remove this spark plug wire. Remove the distributor cap: the rotor should be pointing at the position where the number one spark plug wire fits onto the cap. If not, the timing is off indicating a broken/jumped timing chain/belt. (However, in some cases someone has really turned the distributor cap too far in one direction or the other---not a possibility if no one has been working with the distributor)

JAyla2

March, 2, 2013 AT 11:27 PM

Ok will try but no one was in the hood. A water hose burst and it shut off completely. After noticing that there was no water going in the engine I thought a fuse may have blown

freemba

March, 3, 2013 AT 6:55 PM

Please explain your comment "Ok will try but no one was in the hood." I must be little slow on the uptake, here.

So you had it running and a water hose burst and now it doesn't run, is that correct?

Your water pump is mechanical so a blown fuse would not stop water flow in the engine. Tell my the symptoms that you have now (car running, not running, overheating, etc?)

Blend Door Actuator Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Open Hood Video