GEARSHIFT "LOCKED" IN PARK

• Mbistro
  • 1994 Pontiac Bonneville

I can't take my car out of park because the button on the gearshift lever won't go in. This is the first time it happened, I parked the car and about 30 minutes later, I can't shift. With or without the car running, with or without the brake pedal depressed.

Thursday, November 10th, 2011 AT 9:18 PM

• Jacobandnickolas

Check to see if the brake lights are working. The park lock solenoid gets power to release from the brake light switch.

Thursday, November 10th, 2011 AT 9:36 PM
  • Mbistro

About 2 hours after leaving the car alone, I went back to check the brake lights and they were working, I started the car and I was able to change gears. The problem "went away". Should this happen again, I'll check the brake lights right away. Thanks for the reply.

Friday, November 11th, 2011 AT 1:00 AM
  • saturntech9

Also when it wont shift out of park if the brake lights work see if you can hear a clicking noise from the shift lock solenoid at the shifter while stepping on the brake.

Friday, November 11th, 2011 AT 10:47 AM