My engine wont start up why?

STACY NICHOLAS
  • 1994 HONDA CIVIC
My 1994 honda civic wont start I had replaced the fuel filter and it turns over but wont start what do you think I should do?
Tuesday, February 8th, 2011 AT 12:37 AM

KHLOW2008
Check the PGM-FI main relay. It is known to fail intermittently along with the distributor

Does the Check Engine Light goes off after 2 seconds when ignition switch is turned ON?

This sounds like a fuel pump has gone out. When you turn the key to the on position without cranking the engine over can you hear the fuel pump run in the tank for 5 seconds?

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Please run down this guide and report back.
Friday, February 11th, 2011 AT 4:26 PM
HOPEFULDREAMR
  • 1994 HONDA CIVIC
So my 94 Civic has been acting strange for about a month. Whenever it rains, it wont start, the engine will rev like its about to start but it won't turn over. It started perfectly fine when it was a sunny or dry day but now it's been sunny all day and it's having the same starting issues as when it would rain out. I was wondering if anyone out there knows what could possibly be wrong or what needs to be replaced and if theres anyway of quick fixing it so I could drive it to a garage to have the proper repairs done instead of having it towed. Thanks and hope to hear from you all soon :)
Saturday, January 2nd, 2021 AT 12:03 PM (Merged)
F4I_GUY
Have a full tune-up performed.

What is most likley going on is there is moisture build-up in the ignition cap that is not allowing proper ignition to reach the spark plugs.
CHRIS24
  • 1994 HONDA CIVIC
Hi, I have a 1994 honda civic dx 1.5, manual transmission I was driving pretty low on gas and the car cut out. The power stayed on but the engine did not I had it towed home. Couldnt get it started. I need help anyone with ideas please feel free. I have spark, I did a compression check, checked the fuel regulator and filter. Changed the fuel pump because eveyone I know said it was most likely that. Checked the injectors and they all spray gas like normal. Pulled out all the spark plugs cleaned them put them back in. Checked the efi relay. The car will crank but not fire at all. Checked all fuses. Checked the timing and timing belt. The only thing is the ecu when I go under the glove box and pull out the wire and hook a jumper to it to make my engine light blink with the code the engine light stays on solid and the srs light blinks non stop so theres either no code or something maybe its the whole ecu. So I am lost and my dad who knows more about cars then me is confused as well. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
BRUCE HUNT
Check out the EFI relay. It should be a box up under the dash on the driver side. It is a known problem. You can check the solder joints and resolder or replace the unit. Start there since you have determined that there is spark. There are other things but start with that.
Saturday, January 2nd, 2021 AT 12:04 PM (Merged)
TLOEPFE
Common problem is the main fuel relay. I had a friend spend hundreds to find this out
CHRIS24
Thank you for your reply I will def check that stuff right now. I talked to one of my friends who knows hondas but isnt in town. He kind of limited it two the fuel pump or the ecu any thoughts on that? We pulled the line right before the fuel filter and put he car on the on position. My dad was able to put his finger over the end of the metal hose and stop the fluid. I dont have a pressure guage but he says it doesnt feel like 40 psi. Should it be that easy to stop. When we put a cup there and let the gas go into the cup a good amount came out but it wasnt gushing so I dont know. Any thoughts or comments on that?
CHRIS24
Ok so I have changed the fuel pump and still have the same problem. So I know its now not the fuel pump. Any answers?
LUNCEFORD
From what I have read, it sounds like your problem is quite similar to mine. I replaced the ignition control module, cap, rotors, spark plugs (needed to anyway) and am down to the main relay or fuel pump.

I bought a new fuel pump but haven't installed it yet cause I want to determine if the main relay is bad first.

I have read that when you turn the key to ON, you should hear the motor whirl sound on the fuel pump for about 2 seconds. I didn't hear anything.

Please let me know your outcome. I hear there is a test you can do on the main relay if you have a digital multimeter. I just need to know exactly what steps to do since I have just bought one but don't know how to use it to test anything.
TAMPATEXAN
  • 1994 HONDA CIVIC
1994 Honda Civic 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual

While driving to work, the car quit running. Had it towed home. It turns over fine, but will not start. Fuel is present and I loosened the fuel line at the engine log and got fuel out, so pump seems to be working. No spark at plugs. Obviously seems to be ignition, but what should I check first? Also, how do you get the rotor off? It doesn't come off easily, and I don't want to break it. Thanks in advance.
Saturday, January 2nd, 2021 AT 12:05 PM (Merged)
F4I_GUY
To remove the rotor you have to turn the engine over until the philips screw exposes it's self. The rotor will face towards the front of the vehicle when the screw can be removed.

You either have an ignition coil or an ICM that has failed, or possibly both. Sometimes they take each other out when one fails.

You can check the resistance of the ignition coil, and continuity through the ICM.
HONDA CIVIC DX
  • 1994 HONDA CIVIC
My 1994 Honda Civic DX (manual trans) will not start. I just had my engine reworked because of a timing belt snapping. So, the timing belt has been replaced and the engine reworked. I put a new battery in the car, towed the car to a machanic shop. He said the compression was at 60psi. And I needed engine work. I asked him if there could be any other problems, i.E, starter, alt, ignition switch, etc; and he said no. I called a Honda dealer and they were not very talkative. I replaced the plugs and they had enough gas on them for me to bathe in, (so that to me says the fuel pump is good.) Please help, any help will be appreciated at this point. I am running out of money on this one!
HPARKHUSTLER
What is it exactly doing I might be able to help. Could be firing order or ignition coil is it cranking but wont start. What noises is it making when u go to crank it
AMARTINEZ209
  • 1994 HONDA CIVIC
I have a 94 Honda Civic DX. I have just changed the O2 sensor now the Car wont start everything was in running condition before I did this. Battery, distributor, plugs, wires, fuel filter and pump and relay are all new. What could be the problem?
Saturday, January 2nd, 2021 AT 12:06 PM (Merged)
2CEXPT
An oxygen sensor will not prevent the engine from starting-backtrack your work
-1
AMARTINEZ209
Thanks for your help I back tracked on all my work and found the problem. Don't I feel dumb Lol thanx for the help
+1
2CEXPT
What's the fix maybe others will learn from it?
+1
AMARTINEZ209
Once I back tracked my work I found the problem! The fix was a faulty wiring to the starter (12v wire, a ground wire) once I replaced the faulty wiring the car started right up no problem runs great thanx for the help
+1
2CEXPT
P1494 Leak Detect Pumps SW or mechanical fault
Leak Detection Pump (LDP) switch operation is monitored immediately after a cold start, with ambient temperature 40-90 degrees F and engine coolant temperature within 10 degrees F of ambient temperature. DTC will set in Powertrain Control Module (PCM) memory when PCM does not sense a change in switch state when LDP solenoid is energized.
Possible causes are:
Leak or obstruction in LDP vacuum supply.
Defective LDP.
LDP switch senses circuit open, shorted, corroded or defective PCM. The switch connector is a very common problem. So it seems the code is set at startup, when certain temperature parameters are met - which may be why the dealership said it's ok to drive.
LEE CINTRON
  • 1994 HONDA CIVIC
1994 Honda Civic Two Wheel Drive Manual 237000 miles

well I was driving my car at may 20-35 miles an hour when my its dies on me try to restart an nothing so had it towed home would like to check spark but dont know how?

Sponsored links