STARTING PROBLEMS 94

1994 Ford Taurus

bob hanright

March, 10, 2011 AT 5:57 PM

1994 Ford Taurus Wagon 3.0L engine. Car starts and stalls every once and awhile and then just turns over without starting. Changed the fuel filter and the distributor/rotor still happens. I noticed after changing the fuel filter, that when I disconnect the negative terminal wait a couple of minutes and reconnect it. The car returns to normal and starts rightup. Any Ideas?

paul6691

March, 10, 2011 AT 6:33 PM

I've had similiar problems on another type of car and it was the crank sensor

March, 10, 2011 AT 8:15 PM

When it stalls don't wait- do below immediately to determine if its a fuel or spark issue

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing

fixitmr

March, 10, 2011 AT 8:27 PM

You could try getting codes read but you may be erasing them when you take cable off.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang