STARTING PROBLEMS 94 TAURUS

• bob hanright
  • 1994 Ford Taurus
  • automatic

1994 Ford Taurus Wagon 3.0L engine. Car starts and stalls every once and awhile and then just turns over without starting. Changed the fuel filter and the distributor/rotor still happens. I noticed after changing the fuel filter, that when I disconnect the negative terminal wait a couple of minutes and reconnect it. The car returns to normal and starts rightup. Any Ideas?

Thursday, March 10th, 2011 AT 5:57 PM

• paul6691

I've had similiar problems on another type of car and it was the crank sensor

Thursday, March 10th, 2011 AT 6:33 PM
  • rasmataz

When it stalls don't wait- do below immediately to determine if its a fuel or spark issue

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing

Thursday, March 10th, 2011 AT 8:15 PM
  • fixitmr

You could try getting codes read but you may be erasing them when you take cable off.

Thursday, March 10th, 2011 AT 8:27 PM