Timing belt replacement

RANDYP57
  • 1994 FORD RANGER
Replace timing belt on 1994 ford ranger 2.3
Saturday, May 28th, 2011 AT 1:24 PM

TIMING BELT
Removal
Disconnect negative battery cable. Rotate engine clockwise and position cylinder No. 1 on TDC of compression stroke. Ensure "O" mark on crankshaft pulley aligns with "O" mark on outer timing belt cover.
Looking through plug hole of outer timing belt cover, ensure camshaft sprocket timing mark aligns with cover pointer. See Fig. 1.
Remove fan guard, cooling shroud, cooling fan and fan shroud. Remove drive belt, water pump pulley and automatic belt tensioner. Discharge A/C system (if equipped) using approved refrigerant recovery equipment. Remove A/C compressor mounting bracket with power steering pump attached, and position aside. Drain cooling system. Remove upper radiator hose. Remove thermostat housing and gasket.
Remove retaining bolt and crankshaft pulley. Remove hub assembly retaining bolt from crankshaft. Remove outer timing belt cover. Ensure camshaft sprocket timing mark aligns with cover pointer. See Fig. 1.
Loosen belt tensioner bolts. Using Camshaft Belt Tensioner (T74P-6254-A) or equivalent, release spring tension on belt tensioner. Rotate belt tensioner away from timing belt and tighten bolts.
On distributorless models, remove retaining bolts and pull crankshaft sensor from dowel pins. See Fig. 1. Remove hub assembly. On all models, note direction of belt guide installation, and remove belt guide. Remove timing belt

Reverse for reinstallation
+1
Wednesday, June 29th, 2011 AT 9:35 AM
JOHNCAMPBELL39@YMAIL.COM
  • 1994 FORD RANGER
The timing belt broke on my 1994 ford ranger and I basically need a step by step of getting the cam set back in time with crank before putting the new timing belt on.
Wednesday, March 27th, 2019 AT 6:00 PM (Merged)
See below

Installation

Ensure crankshaft is set at TDC and camshaft sprocket timing mark is aligned with cover pointer. See Fig. 5. Install crankshaft sprocket (if removed) with recessed area toward crankshaft. See Fig. 5.
Install belt guide with flat side toward camshaft sprocket. See Fig. 5. Install NEW timing belt. Loosen tensioner bolt. Allow tensioner to adjust itself, and retighten bolt. Rotate crankshaft clockwise 2 complete turns to remove slack from belt.
Loosen tensioner bolt. Allow tensioner to adjust itself and retighten bolt. To complete installation, reverse removal procedure. Fill and bleed cooling system. See COOLING SYSTEM BLEEDING under REMOVAL & INSTALLATION.
JBSHERRELL
  • 1994 FORD RANGER
My wife's ranger with the 2.3l engine recently broke the timing belt. I replaced the belt and idler/tensioner pulley and the truck started up like it was brand new. Tried starting it several times with no problems. I finished putting everything else back together and started it one more time to try and drive it. As soon as I touched the gas pedal it died and now will only turn over but not start. I replaced the ignition module in hopes that this was the issue, but no luck. Any suggestions?
+1
FIXITMR
Check belt?
FIXITMR
Has it got spark and fuel?
-1
JBSHERRELL
It was running great until the belt broke on Saturday. I have checked the belt tention and made sure the timing marks were still lined up correctly, but still no start.
MHPAUTOS
Check for fault codes and check for fuel pressure and spark and injection pulse.
GILMORAM
  • 1996 FORD RANGER
  • 320 MILES
I accidentally move the crankshaft flag play on me crankshaft sprocket. I have a 96 ford ranger. I had to replace timing belt and now I have no power. Is it the timing or the crankshaft sensor flag plate?
The timing belt is eitehr out of time or you have some bent valves. I have no idea what a crankshaft flag play is. If you mean crankshaft sensor as long as you didn't bend the timing belt cover it should be ok. I'm sending a diagram of timeing belt timeing.
JBSHERRELL
You can hear the fuel pump coming on when you turn the switch on, but I have no spark. Installed new coil packs, still no spark.
GILMORAM
I'm sorry. I meant the plate that the crankshaft sensor is looking at. I think the call it the flag. Could my timing be one tooth off. Causing loss of power. It was fine until the belt broke.
If your belt broke there is a good chance you bent some valves in the engine. Take a compression check and make sure your timing belt is set to the way of the chart I sent. As long as your timing cover wasnt' bent it shold be ok.
KELSTERCAT
  • 1993 FORD RANGER
I need to know how long is the labor time to change the timing belt on my 1993 ford ranger?
PAPAJOHNSLICE
Id say it varies on experience, and how well you can read a manual. I personally could do it in the matter of a few hours or less, it varies from person to person and engine to engine, just know, the easier it is to get to, the faster it will be to replace
-1
KELSTERCAT
The experience level who will be changing the timing belt is a professional who works in a shop. I just wanted to know what to expect on how much its going to cost.
+2
PAPAJOHNSLICE
Parts and labor (depending on the state you live in) I would say your looking at about 1-200, or $40 if you did it yourself
KELSTERCAT
I am looking at "labor time only". How long does it take to put a timing chain in my 1993 Ford Ranger? I would put the parts in my self but I'm too old to do it now. !
+1
DOCFIXIT
@5 hrs
-1
JVENO
  • 2000 FORD RANGER
I have replaced a timing belt on this truck, set all timing marks multiple times, have spark have fuel pressure compression is good, replaced crankshaft sensor, but still cannot get it to start. Need help on this problem.
-1