MY V8 HAS RECENTLY BEEN HAVING OIL PRESSURE ...

1994 Dodge Dakota

mjm2198

December, 15, 2012 AT 6:14 AM

My v8 has recently been having oil pressure issues when im slowing down under about 1000rpm or when I start it normally the oil pressure gauge drops to zero and the light comes on, ive changed the oil pressure sensor because it was leaking but I still have the light and gauge problems and I believe another sensor is leaking oil near my transmission?

December, 15, 2012 AT 6:32 AM

This oil pressure sensor that you've replaced is it on the rear of the intake manifold near the distributor if it is-That's the oil pressure switch are you using a mechanical gauge to read the oil pressure or the gauge itself-let me know-No or low oil pressure points to the oil pump and engine bearings-

fixitmr

December, 15, 2012 AT 7:01 AM

What weight oil ya runnin? If pressure IS actually low, try 20/50 or 10/30 with a stabilizer like LUCAS. Stabilizer I s great for ANY weight oil though. Can even slow/stop small leaks. Or do the right thing and replace worn parts.

mjm2198

December, 15, 2012 AT 7:49 AM

Rasmataz- yes its the one next to the distributor and no just the gauge in the dash. Fixitmr-normally ran 5/30 until problem began then moved up to 10/30, but yes ive heard a couple recommendations on lucas I just wasnt sure what I should do.

fixitmr

December, 15, 2012 AT 10:39 PM

So get a mechanical reading and if OK try replacing sender before tearing into motor. If sender is leaking it's likely out of spec anyway.

mjm2198

December, 16, 2012 AT 4:49 AM

Ok ill try that, but I found out it was leaking because it broke in half, but thank you for the help, ill give it a shot.

Replace Oil Pressure Sensor
Oxygen Sensor Replacement Honda Civic 1996-20
TPS Sensor Step by Step Replacement Guide
Air Filter Replacement
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Cruze
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Edge