Radio Removal in '94 Caravan

BLUECHIPPER
  • 1994 DODGE CARAVAN
What parts of the dashboard and/or console do I need to remove to access the radio/clock in a 1994 Dodge Caravan? Are there screws, clips or both?
Tuesday, January 11th, 2011 AT 8:52 PM

'93s are real easy, and '95s are real hard. Sorry I can't remember which style the '94 is. If the escutcheon is t-shaped and has a couple of vents, (I think) right below the radio, that piece snaps off, then you'll see the two 3/8 inch screws. For the '95 style, you start by prying up a trim strip in front of the warning light assembly. Remove the three screws that hold that light assembly in place, then unplug it. Remove a bunch of screws on the top of the dash. I think you have to pry the speaker cover up too. It goes from door to door right behind the windshield. You'll have to flex it a little to slide it out.

Thursday, January 13th, 2011 AT 3:08 AM
BLUECHIPPER
Thank You very much. The info was exactly what I needed. It required the hard way, but your instructions worked perfectly. Speaker covers did not have to be pried up separately. Now I just have to find a used radio in a junkyard, or a new one that will fit in that hugh hole. Thanks again.
Blueschipper
Wednesday, February 2nd, 2011 AT 7:53 PM
What's your radio doing and what's the model number? I work on these for two dozen new and used car dealers around WI. I have service manuals and parts too.

Wednesday, February 2nd, 2011 AT 8:30 PM
BLUECHIPPER
When I bought the van, it was dead. The cassette guts had been pulled out through the slot. Opened it up and wires were broken and circuit board scratched up. It's part #P5293012. Other #'s on the tag: S/N T GO AH 294 3 12315.
Monday, February 14th, 2011 AT 7:13 PM
That was a low-end cassette player. I have the same model in my '95 Grand Caravan, and I have lots of parts for them. You can replace it with any square face Chrysler radio but you should avoid the Infinity models. They put out less bass, then it is made up in a remote-mounted amplifier or with little amps bolted to the speakers. Unlike the confusing Ford and GM systems, all Chrysler radios put out speaker-level output and will run the speakers directly. When an amp is used it is just for tone conditioning for the shape of the vehicle.

If you are "emotionally-involved" with your radio, I have used cassette mechanisms and I have new display crystals for some models. If you want to upgrade to a cd player, you are much better off with a cd / cassette combo. They are built by Mitsubishi and are very high quality. I sell a lot of them at the nation's second largest old car show in WI. The cd player without cassette is built by Alpine. Both radios have a few problems that once repaired are repaired for life. I'm a little nervous selling the Alpine models because I've run into four weak lasers over the years. I've never found a bad one in the Mitsubishi radios. That still isn't bad compared to the 100 percent failure rate on GM cd players.

Monday, February 14th, 2011 AT 7:41 PM
BLUECHIPPER
Where would I buy the Mitsubishi unit?
Monday, February 14th, 2011 AT 10:04 PM
You can find a bunch of them on eBay but they usually have problems that need attention. I bought over 200 radios over the years. You definitely want to avoid any that the seller will only ship through UPS. They smashed 17 out of 57 they brought me over a three year period and refused to go good for any of them claiming "they weren't packed properly". Insurance was a waste of money too. Found out too late they are not allowed to make silly packing requirements because to be allowed to be in competition with the Post Office, they have to follow the same rules. I've never had problems with the Post Office. Fed Ex is ok too. Most of the damage through them is due to the fact most people don't know how to pack radios to prevent damage when the boxes are dropped.

Let me know if you don't find a radio you like.

Monday, February 14th, 2011 AT 10:49 PM