STALLING 6.5L TURBODIESEL SOLUTIONS?

1994 Chevrolet Truck

Davewithdiesel

July, 16, 2012 AT 4:14 AM

1994 Chevy 6.5 turbo diesel (vin F) Stalls has new injection pump after installing new pmd (#6 resistor) relocated to the front bumper, on the last stall I felt the pmd and it was not even warm I open the air bleed and water drain and there is pressure to the injection pump I am thinking about replacing the pre programed ecm but I am not sure if that is the problem NO codes are shown no other symptoms.
It will sometimes restart right away sometimes it takes a min or two no more than 5. Do I have to worry about the P.R.O.M going bad would either the ecm or prom make a code?

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

racefan966

July, 16, 2012 AT 3:27 PM

Did you replace the fuel pump driver module? Dorman Part number 904-104.

Davewithdiesel

July, 16, 2012 AT 6:42 PM

Yes and it was relocated

racefan966

July, 18, 2012 AT 3:42 PM

If the prom was bad then you would not be able to read codes, it have a comunication error. What tests have you done what else have you replaced? I don't like replacing an ECM unless all things point to it.

Davewithdiesel

July, 19, 2012 AT 4:26 AM

I replaced the PMD/FMD, the Injection pump, fuel filter, tested the oil pressure sender the lift pump runs well ( I forgot to close the air bleed and water valve and drove it to the parts store with no stalls and a major mess ) I also noticed the temp gauge does not read anything but cold I replaced the coolant temp sensor with no change even if I ground it with a jumper and put it in boiling water but the gauge does go to hot if I put the sender wire straight to ground, the gauge sometimes will spin all around past max hot while turn the key to crank or when I shut the truck off

racefan966

July, 21, 2012 AT 3:09 AM

The guage problem sounds like a the instrument cluster is bad. It sounds like the computer is the problem with all that you have replaced there is nothing else to cause the problems that I can find. Is there any codes?

Davewithdiesel

July, 22, 2012 AT 4:19 AM

No codes which makes it that much more of a challenge I put a multimeter on the pmd wire at the b and f which lead to the fuel solniod and watched the sign wave I am not sure what to look for.

racefan966

July, 25, 2012 AT 1:47 AM

I will look that up and get back to you. Anything else you can tell me?

Davewithdiesel

July, 25, 2012 AT 11:54 PM

Thats all I can think of

racefan966

July, 28, 2012 AT 3:56 PM

Looking over Mitchelle with what you have done its all that makes sense anyway. Let me know

lebow

December, 8, 2012 AT 3:03 PM

Maybe its your oil pressure switch!
You can wire your fuel pump on the rail straight with power and try it if it doesnt stall then you can change your oil pressure switch!
Before doing all that you can check if you dont have a fuel leak and you can change your fuel filter too