MANUAL TRANSMISSION WON'T SHIFT INTO 1ST OR 2ND

• CptZaphodB
  • 1993 Saturn SC2

My shifter is acting really weird, not that it locks out any particular gears, but rather it replaces 1st and 2nd with 3rd and 4th. An example, from Neutral, it shifts very smoothly into 3rd, 4th, 5th, and Reverse. But when I try to shift it into 1st, it shifts smoothly, but when I let off the clutch, it's very obvious it's in 3rd. I can proceed to shift into 4th by putting the shifter in the second slot, 5th with the shifter in the 3rd slot, and Reverse with the shifter in the 4th slot. Not only that, but Neutral becomes very offset to the left, that is until I shove my shifter over until I hear an unsettling Clunk. After I hear the clunk, I can put it in the normal 5th and Reverse slots, and Neutral becomes the middle once again.
Basically, what I get from that is when I move my shifter to put it in 1st or 2nd (even if I don't even put it in gear) it brings third with it, putting it in position to go into 3rd gear with the shifter in the 1st slot.
I'm not sure what to try, nobody I know has ever heard of this. Help?

Monday, July 30th, 2012 AT 11:56 PM

• ASEMaster6371

There are bushings on the shift cable that may be worn out. Have a shop check this for you to verify

Tuesday, July 31st, 2012 AT 12:13 AM
  • CptZaphodB

That was suggested by a friend of mine on a side note, the bushings on mine apparently look worn. Could this be the cause?

Tuesday, July 31st, 2012 AT 12:15 AM
  • ASEMaster6371

Like I said, yes, get it checked to confirm

Tuesday, July 31st, 2012 AT 12:23 AM
  • saturntech9

Just to add to this one the cable end retainer actual breaks the one that hooks the cable to the base of the inside shifter where you shift gears. The cable towards the drivers seat they sell a repair kit on ebay for under 20. They also tell you in the listing how to fix it temp until you get the repair in the mail.I would first make sure that one of the clips that hold the cables on the transmission didnt come off. If thats good then pull the console and let me know what you find.I have also found the inside shifter assembly breaks causing the shifter to not go to the center position when in neutral.

Tuesday, July 31st, 2012 AT 4:43 AM