Delayed start

IIVIIETAL666
  • 2 POSTS
  • 1993 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

Ive recently purchased a 93 grand cherokee limited v8 5.2L
i am having issues starting I have to turn the key to the on position and wait 1-5 min warm 10-20 min cold before the asd relay will start clicking and activate my fuel pump relay. At first I thought it was the factory alarm system seeming as I bought it without the FoB I did some research and removed the alarm system with no avail I was still having the same issue so I talked to a buddy who helped me bypass the relays and that had no effect either first we did the fuel pump relay then the asd relay then returned it to normal when it seemed it would not help we also replaced the relays, so then I took the jeep over to a shop and had them plug in the computer and it shows no error codes at all so now im stumped again the jeep does run Ive not had any other issues with it aside from the waiting to start, when the asd relay is rdy to go it will start clicking on/off/on/off/on/off etc after about ten or twenty clicks the check engine light will start to flash on the dash for the final dozen clicks and go solid when the relay stops then turns off after a few secs later, at this point I can start the jeep trying to start before hand with just result in the jeep turning over as the fuel pump has not primed the engine

Sunday, October 7th, 2012 AT 7:13 PM

ASEMASTER6371

The computer is what grounds the asd relay. You need to check for this ground when you turn the key on.

Sunday, October 7th, 2012 AT 7:21 PM
IIVIIETAL666
  • 2 POSTS

How or where should I start to look for this ground?

Sunday, October 7th, 2012 AT 7:30 PM
ASEMASTER6371

The ground wire for the asd relay needs to be ohmed out from there to the ecm to confirm. If it is ok, the ecm may have failed.

Sunday, October 7th, 2012 AT 7:36 PM
JOHN HARSHBARGER
  • 4 POSTS

I have a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2 l that's doing the same thing if you could tell me where is the ASD ground located

Thursday, January 4th, 2018 AT 5:21 AM
ASEMASTER6371

Good morning. The ground is the ecm. The ecm controls the grounds to activate the system.

Thursday, January 4th, 2018 AT 5:37 AM
JOHN HARSHBARGER
  • 4 POSTS

I have to turn the key on and let it sit for a while in order to engage the pump so you think replacing the ECM would be my best bet

Thursday, January 4th, 2018 AT 5:40 AM
ASEMASTER6371

No I would check the voltage to the fuel pump first. If you have voltage, the pump is bad. If you dont have voltage then check the relay before going to the ecm

Thursday, January 4th, 2018 AT 5:42 AM
JOHN HARSHBARGER
  • 4 POSTS

I've already replaced the relay and the fuel pump I got a fuel pressure regulator on the way because I'm still losing pressure to the line 2

Thursday, January 4th, 2018 AT 5:44 AM
ASEMASTER6371

What is the fuel pressure?

Thursday, January 4th, 2018 AT 7:06 AM
JOHN HARSHBARGER
  • 4 POSTS

I'm unsure what the pressure is exactly but I know when the pump kicks on it has two to repressurise the whole system

Thursday, January 4th, 2018 AT 11:58 AM
ASEMASTER6371

Check the pressure and let me know

Thursday, January 4th, 2018 AT 1:13 PM