LOSS OF POWER

1993 GMC Sonoma

srsmail1@verizon.net

July, 1, 2012 AT 7:23 PM

Loss of Power
1993 GMC Sonoma – 4.3L (“Z” Code) – 186,000 miles

Scenario: Intermittent Loss of Power primarily when climbing hills but occasionally with hard acceleration.

Symptoms: Loses power without backfire, odors, smoke, vibration, or mechanical sounds. Check engine light comes on – sometimes. If accelerator is depressed further to compensate, it loses power faster. There is an apparent “sweet spot” in the accelerator where power is not further reduced – per se – during which vehicle continues at current speed on the level and slows when climbing hills. No acceleration is possible, or marginal at best, during these episodes. Engine may also start and then stall which it had not done previously.

I would estimate that the engine runs fine 95% of the time.

Recent Work: Plugs (Bosch Platinum – first time used), wires, distributor cap & rotor, ignition module, fuel filter, and catalytic convertor replaced. All of these parts except the ignition module were installed just prior to this problem. Ignition module was replaced after the engine shut down (with two quick, but muted, backfires) on the highway with less than 20 miles driven since the tune-up.

Mechanic said his scanner indicated “no communication” or something similar when he plugged into the diagnostic port.

Any ideas as to the cause/source of the problem and how to correct it?

July, 1, 2012 AT 8:01 PM

Need the code for the light.

Check the fuel pressure and check the back pressure from the cat.

srsmail1@verizon.net

July, 2, 2012 AT 11:08 PM

Hi Roy. All I get as a code is "12" using a paper clip. This is true whether the engine is cold or warm/hot.

I will recommend your suggestions to my mechanic. It's just frustrating knowing that the engine essentially ran fine until the "tune-up" and converter installation.

Thanks, Scott

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Fuel Filter Replacment BMW 525i
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe