WHAT CPULD I TRY TO FIX THIS

• dhickmn
  • 1993 Ford Probe

I just bought my 93 ford probe gt and I replaced the battery and the main fuse (100amp) and the battery gagr still reads low and the car dies

Saturday, September 1st, 2012 AT 5:03 AM

• mhpautos

Ensure battery terminals are in good condition and have alternator output checked as well, start here.

Saturday, September 1st, 2012 AT 5:50 AM
  • dhickmn

The battery terminals are in good condition but ill have to get the alternator out put checked. Where can I go to do that?

Saturday, September 1st, 2012 AT 10:59 AM
  • KHLow2008

Most parts store provides such testings.

If you have a DVOM, connect across the the battery terminals with engine running would give you an idea. It should be around 13.5 to 14.5 volts.

Saturday, September 1st, 2012 AT 3:44 PM
  • dhickmn

I don't know what the dvom is. But I went and got the battery tested this morning and it said something about phase open and I'm losing. 3.9 amps

Sunday, September 2nd, 2012 AT 1:44 AM
  • mhpautos

You will have to get a current draw test done, this will isolate the circuit that is drawing down the battery.

Sunday, September 2nd, 2012 AT 1:46 AM
  • dhickmn

My father said something about a diode in the alternator, do you think I should get a new alternator?

Sunday, September 2nd, 2012 AT 1:51 AM
  • mhpautos

You can test this with an Amp meter, disconnect the battery Pos cable and place an amp meter between battery and cable, read the amp draw this will be around the 3.9 you reported, then disconnect the main cable off the alternator, if the current draw drops it will be in the alternator.

Sunday, September 2nd, 2012 AT 1:55 AM
  • dhickmn

Does auto zone gave an amp meter I can borrow? And you mean the main grown in the alternator right?

Sunday, September 2nd, 2012 AT 1:57 AM