Cranks does not start

RUDRULES
  • 1993 CHEVROLET VAN
  • RWD
When the van sits over night it cranks, but is does not start. I have replaced fuel relay, fuel pump, Fuel filter, IAC, ECM, Coil, distributor cap, rotor, plugs and wires and I just order a TBI rebuilt kit that includes the fuel regulator.
it gives me a fault code 54.
When it starts after cranking for a long while it runs fine and it starts again and again while is hot, but when it sits for a long period of time or overnight it is almost impossible to start.
if this pressure regulator does not fix it I am burning the truck, that is how frustrated I am.
Help Please!
Friday, May 20th, 2016 AT 8:05 AM

KEN
Hey RUDRULES,

Don't burn it! We will get it fixed up. Please remove the air filter so you can see if fuel in entering the engine when it is cold. We are trying to see if it is too little, too much or nothing at all? If not enough try to use some carb spray to see if you can make it start better, we can go from there.

Here is an article that can help as well.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-cranks-excessively-before-starting

let me know who ti goes

Best, Ken
Friday, May 20th, 2016 AT 11:27 AM
RUDRULES
Thanks Ken for your reply
,
I rebuilt the tbi this weekend and replace the fuel pressure regulator and it started first try, I though I fixed it but today is the same old problem, cranks and no star.
Took doghouse and air cleaner and cranked it and is getting fuel, So i'm stumped.
I'm going to take spark plug off to see if they are fouled, someone told me that if my old fuel pressure regulator was bad and I replaced it that I should also replace the plugs, so i'm going to check them.
Im also going to check for spark!

Please help!
Monday, May 23rd, 2016 AT 10:36 AM
KEN
Yes the spark plugs would definitely cause the problem. Let me know what you find.
Monday, May 23rd, 2016 AT 2:01 PM
RUDRULES
Well, after removing and inspecting the spark plugs they were very black and wet with what it seem like gas,
had plenty of spark so I replace them and gap them at 0.45* and also replaced the coolant temp sensor.
First turn of the key and it started up, my son took it to work today and has had no problem starting it.

I'm still wondering what caused the plugs to foul so quickly the were only four weeks old!
I will inspect them again this coming weekend just to make sure that is not something outs causing the plugs to foul, like the map sensor or who knows what!
Feel free to give me your opinions as to what outs could be fouling the plugs!

My son is planing a three week long trip and don't want him to have any mechanical problems and get stranded far away from home!

I will post again after this weekend and let you know the condition of the new plugs.

Thanks for all your help!
Rudy
Tuesday, May 24th, 2016 AT 4:16 PM
KEN
Hey,

Yep that will do it, need the plugs to stay clean, lets do a compression test to see what kind of shape the motor is in, low compression can cause the plugs to foul.

Here is a guide, get back to me with your readings

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-test-engine-compression

Best, Ken

Tuesday, May 24th, 2016 AT 4:47 PM
RUDRULES
I just performed a compression test and here is the results:
Cylinder-CompressionSpark plug Condition
1180plug was clean
2185Plug was clean
3185Plug was clean
4175Plug was Clean
5150Plug had oil on it
6180Plug had oil on it

I read a post that no cylinder should be less than 70% of the highest reading, my sons Van has 215000 miles!
I will do the the next compression test and add one tablespoon of oil in the number 5 cylinder to determine if is the rings or Valves, I also heard that it could be a worn lobe in the Cam shaft.
I tend to think that is coming from Valves because Cylinder number 6 was also wet with oil and it had 180 compression!
Whats your take?
Van is running good now and starting every time!
Thursday, May 26th, 2016 AT 5:57 PM
KEN
It looks like the compression is good, so there is a reason the mixture is rich which leaves the map sensor or a partially plugged cat converter. Lets start with the cat test, here is a guide that can help see if the cat is working or not which will help us with the diagnosis.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-test-a-catalytic-converter

let me know what you find

Best, Ken

Thursday, May 26th, 2016 AT 10:30 PM
RUDRULES
Checked the cat just now and temp is 242 degrees coming into and 295 coming out!
Friday, May 27th, 2016 AT 1:15 PM
RUDRULES
Could it be a bad 02 sensor?
Friday, May 27th, 2016 AT 1:16 PM
RUDRULES
Here is the readings!
Friday, May 27th, 2016 AT 1:18 PM
Those cat readings don't really mean much they can be as high as 1400-1600 F depending on load. 1300 is about normal. Your compression should all be with in 20% of each other with the one cylinder reading low. But okay. The wetness on plug is probably form the valve guide as they wear and with your mileage just drive it it won't hurt anything. The plugs can be wet from short drives under a mile and or starting engine and shutting it off. Also check your vacuum line going to map sensor, they get soft and suck together so map sensor doesn't work right like not allowing vehicle to start for one.
Friday, May 27th, 2016 AT 4:29 PM
KEN
Hmm, that's looks like it is working. I would lean toward the map sensor being bad. Are the plugs still clean or are they turning black already?
Friday, May 27th, 2016 AT 5:56 PM
RUDRULES
They are all clean but number 5 and 6 are a little wet, but very little!
Saturday, May 28th, 2016 AT 9:40 AM
KEN
This sounds pretty normal for an engine with that many miles, could it be the wrong spark plugs (too cold) were install and you install the correct ones?
Saturday, May 28th, 2016 AT 10:11 AM