WHAT DOES IT MEAN WHEN COOLANT LEAKS OUT AS FAST AS YOU PUT IT IN?

1993 Chevrolet Cavalier

Shaggy274

September, 26, 2011 AT 2:00 AM

When I put coolant in the radiator it comes out of what appears to be an overflow on the firewall right next to the two meatal air conditioner lines on the passenger side below the rack and pinion unit

September, 26, 2011 AT 2:28 AM

You have a major leak and you need to have someone pressure test the system to pinpoint the leak. You also need to have a leak down test to verify the head gasket is good.

Shaggy274

September, 27, 2011 AT 1:24 AM

Could it be the water pump has gone bad? It dosent matter if the car has ran or not like yesterday I let it run a lil then let it sit overnight and tonight I went out and put water in it and it runs out of the same place and the car hasnt ran.

September, 27, 2011 AT 3:13 AM

Sure, but it also could be the radiator, hoses, lines or heater core. You need someone to look at it to identify the issue.

Shaggy274

September, 29, 2011 AT 5:49 AM

Plastic hose comming off heater core is SPLIT down the middle and heater core is rusted a lil so going to go get new heater core and hose tomorrow

Joe McGregor

September, 29, 2011 AT 5:50 PM

There is definitely a leak in the heater core. The hose that you mentioned which comes out of the firewall on the pass. Side of the car is actually an evaporator drain tube, which is used to remove condensation from the heater/A.C. Box when the A.C. Is on, and because your heater core has failed and is filling the heater box with antifreeze the tube is allowing the coolant to drain onto the ground. I suspect that if you feel around on the floor of the passengers' side of the car the carpet will be wet as well, this is proof positive of heater core failure.

Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Radiator Hoses and Thermostat Replacement
Radiator Hose Replacement - Upper - Chevrolet