1992 TOYOTA CAMRY ENGINE SLUGGISH

• szalkuskt
  • 1992 Toyota Camry
  • automatic

I HAVE A 92 CAMRY 4CYL. I NOTICE THAT IT SEEMS TO HAVE A PULSING ACTION AND SLUGGISH POWER WHEN I ACCELERATE WITH A PARTIALLY OPENED THROTTLE. I HAVE NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS AND I CHANGED THE FUEL FILTER ALREADY AS I THOUGHT THAT MIGHT BE THE PROBLEM. WHEN I CRUISE ON THE HIGHWAY AT 55 AND THE THROTTLE IS BACKED OFF SLIGHTLY I NOTICE THE PULSING AGAIN AND IN BOTH CASES I CAN SEE A CORRELATION ON THE RPM TACHOMETER. AS I SAID I ALREADY CHANGED THE FUEL FILTER WITH NO RESULTS. THE CAR IDLES FINE. IF I W.O.T IT SEEMS FINE. MY ONLY GUESS NOW IS A THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR PLEASE ADVISE.

Tuesday, January 14th, 2014 AT 5:53 PM

• mhpautos

Check that the air flow meter is ok, this should still be a flap type built into the lid of the air cleaner box.

Wednesday, January 15th, 2014 AT 2:53 AM
  • szalkuskt

I will check, but I think there is not a flapper type on this car. It Is a 4 cyl.I think there is a air intake temp sensor in the air cleaner and then maybe a mass air flow sensor. I will check and let you know.

Wednesday, January 15th, 2014 AT 3:08 PM
  • mhpautos

OK I will look a bit further into it as well

Wednesday, January 15th, 2014 AT 3:18 PM
  • szalkuskt

Sorry for a late reply. I looked and did not see an air flow meter on the air cleaner box at all. What else do you think I should do? Still the same and no check engine lights are on. Could it be a fuel pump problem?

Sunday, March 9th, 2014 AT 12:20 AM
  • mhpautos

Run a scan anyway, not all faults set a check light, make sure that there are no codes logged first.

Tuesday, March 11th, 2014 AT 2:36 AM
  • szalkuskt

Ok once I scan for stored codes I will post a reply thanks. Yesterday from a stop at a stop light once I gave it some gas the car response delayed slightly from a dead stop as if rhe gas pedal did nothing. Like a dead spot.I will check the codes and post a reply. Thanks for responding

Tuesday, March 11th, 2014 AT 11:06 AM
  • mhpautos

May be a throttle position sensor fault.

Tuesday, March 11th, 2014 AT 2:11 PM
  • szalkuskt

I just went to go look for codes but I have a problem, I have an OBDII code reader and my camry is a 1992, and all I find under the drivers steering column is a "DIAGNOSTIC" port which is grey in color and is round in shape. I am not sure how to read the codes on this 1992 year model camry. Can you help me? Thanks

Saturday, March 15th, 2014 AT 12:10 AM
  • mhpautos

Camry here have a OBD11 connector under the bonnet on the L/H side at the fire wall, (that is on a R/H drive car) you need an adaptor from the Toyota plug to suit your scanner.

Wednesday, March 19th, 2014 AT 4:49 AM
  • szalkuskt

I HAVE TWO DIAGNOSTIC CONNECTORS. ONE UNDER THE HOOD ON THE PASSENGER SIDE AND I STILL HAVE THE ONE UNDER THE STEERING COLUMN ON THE DRIVER SIDE. THIS IS A CAR USED IN THE UNITED STATES.

Wednesday, March 19th, 2014 AT 12:12 PM