MY MASTER CYLINDER WAS LOW ON FLUID

1992 Mercury Tracer

Anonymous

My master cylinder was low on fluid. The brake pedal went to the floor. The cylinder holds the fluid when I filled it up but when I turned on the car and pressed the pedal, it whent to the floor. There is pressure when the car is off but not on.
the fluid was just below the minimum line when I discovered it after driving with the pedal to the floor. I tried pumping the brakes but they still go to the floor.

caradiodoc

If the master cylinder was not empty there should not be any air in the system. When the level is low, mechanics know to never add any during other routine service such as oil changes. The level is low due either to a leak that must be addressed immediately or because the front brake pads are worn and ready to be replaced. As the pads wear down the pistons move out of the caliper housings. That is the self-adjusting feature of all disc brakes. Brake fluid leaves the master cylinder's reservoir to fill in behind the pistons. Those pistons have to be pushed back in to make room for the new, thicker pads. Doing that pushes that brake fluid back up into the reservoir. When someone fills the reservoir in between brake service intervals, that extra fluid spills over and makes a mess on the floor and it will eat paint off the body.

Whatever the reason, once the brake pedal is pushed all the way to the floor, there is a real good chance the master cylinder will be damaged. Crud and corrosion build up in the lower halves of the bores where the two pistons don't normally travel. Pressing the pedal over half way runs the lip seals over that crud and can rip them. That may not show up for a few days but it will cause a very low pedal, a slowly sinking pedal, or the inability to build fluid pressure in one or both hydraulic circuits

Brake Master Cylinder Replacement Like a Pro
Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Replace Rear Brake Pad-Rotor Subaru Legacy
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Acura TL