WEIRD PROBLEM GOING ON WITH TRANNY

1992 Honda Accord

steveal01

November, 9, 2012 AT 12:44 AM

Weird problem going on with tranny. What had happened is that when I replaced my rack and pinion and tried to slip in the passenger axle, I did not notice that I was trying to force the wrong end in. I then noticed and inserted correctly. Now when I drive around, it sound like the tires are humming but stil occurrs even after alignment had been done. Loud enough that I can barely hear myself. I kind of sounds like the tranny because when I start off slow from a dead stop, it sounds like gears not lining up and binding. Could I have ruined the tranny?

mhpautos

November, 9, 2012 AT 12:48 AM

How hard did you try and force the outre small spline end into the transmission, what you may have done is damaged the diff spider gear carrier, is the oil in the transmission ok for level?

steveal01

November, 9, 2012 AT 1:19 AM

I was not wacking it with a mallet or hammer but by pulling & pushing axle shaft by hand in hard. Just checked fluid and is level. Is slightly browning even though completely filling with new fluid in October when I pulled the motor.

mhpautos

November, 9, 2012 AT 1:23 AM

You may just have an alignment problem with the tyres, changing steering rack and replacing or removing tie rod ends can easly up set the alignment, check this first just to be sure.

steveal01

November, 9, 2012 AT 1:33 AM

That was my 1st guess so I had it done and replaced driver hub and bearing also and same issue. Pass side needs replacing but it's not binding or noisy (can barely hear it). Can the rack and pinion be off center? Because now I notice that my pass inner rim now I should say grinds on the sway bar bushing (washer) on the lower control arm. I measured the rear of wheel well fender to the ridge of the rim and both sides don't match up. Not sure if that's causing the issue, the vibration is very hard enough to feel on pedals.

steveal01

November, 9, 2012 AT 1:35 AM

To clarify, the rim grinding is when I back up and turn wheel all the way to the right.

mhpautos

November, 9, 2012 AT 2:54 AM

Either the steering bump stops are missing or damaged, or the rack is off centre and the alignment has been done wrong, I would get the alignment check and show them where it is rubbing on lock and ensure the rack you fitted is correct for your model.

steveal01

November, 9, 2012 AT 3:46 AM

I will take back in to check alignment. I could not find any bumpstops for this car. The new rack was measured against the original oneandmeasured ok. I will have them look at it again. As for the humming that sounds like the tranny, is it possible I damaged the spider gear carrier? Is the an easy way to check if this is the case w/o having to tear the tranny apart?

mhpautos

November, 9, 2012 AT 5:22 AM

Unfortunately not an easy thing to check, you may have to pull these shafts again and visually inspect to see if there is any apparent damage to the spider shaft, do this only if nothing comes of checking steering and alignment.

Replacing the Rack and Pinion
Power Steering Box Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Steering Intermediate Shafts Replacement
Power Steering Fluid Flush Chevrolet Blazer
Power Steering Fluid Check Acura TSX