HELLO, I WOULD LIKE HELP REMOVING MY RACK AND PINION.NEED HELP WITH SHAFT CLEARANCE

1992 Honda Accord

ospomrl

December, 21, 2011 AT 5:08 AM

I have all disconnected and ready for removal but I do not have a torch or impact gun to remove exhaust pipe for clearance. Can I loosen or remove subframe bolts to remove instead. Shaft through the floor board is the problem.

factoryjack

December, 21, 2011 AT 5:13 AM

If your gear is ready for removal, this shaft should already be disconnected. I can not guarantee with any certainty, that the frame will lower enough to get you the clearance that you need. You can try it, have it supported, and lower slowly to see if you can accomplish.

ospomrl

December, 21, 2011 AT 5:40 AM

Thanks, I will try.

December, 21, 2011 AT 2:25 PM

You need to remove the exhaust to gget sufficient clearance.

DO NOT use an impact to loosen the exhaust bolts and nuts. You would definintely strip them. Spray some rust penetrant onto the threads and use a socket wrench to remove the nuts.

If automatic, I wouls advise disconnecting the shift cable as well. If you try to pull too hard onto the cable, chances are you would damage it resulting in stiff lever movement when shifting in and out of Park.

Removing driver side tie-rod end would gain you more space.

Replacing the Rack and Pinion
Power Steering Box Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Power Steering Pump Pulley Removal
Power Steering Fluid Check Acura TSX
Power Steering Pump Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Power Steering Fluid Flush Acura MDX 2000-200