U JOINT ON PASSANGERS SIDE

1992 Ford F-150

prizm2001

March, 17, 2011 AT 1:04 AM

Replaced ball joints on driver sie, pulled u-joint & shaft through knuckle so that it was out of the way when removing knuckle. Unable to repeat the sam process on passanger side. Do I need to remove the boot in order to slide out the whole shaft with u-joints. Even if I remove the u-joint in the knuckle the shaft is stil in the way of the ball joints. I need to remove knuckle completely in order to replace the ball joints.

PROTECH1980

March, 17, 2011 AT 1:18 AM

There are some clamps that you need to remove, They are called keystone clamps, Im gonna post a pic for you of the front axle

prizm2001

March, 17, 2011 AT 4:36 AM

Are the keystone clamps reuseable? These are the small metal clamps holding the rubber boot on correct. Do I need to remove both clamps and if so will the shaft just slip out?
P.S. How do I remove the clamps, they look as if they need a special tool.

PROTECH1980

March, 17, 2011 AT 9:21 PM

Yes just clip them off and discard clamps holding boot, slide boot out of way, this is were your shaft is splined into the stub shaft, just pop that shaft your trying to remove off that stub shaft and continue with R&R of ball joints, you can get yourself a couple thin metal hose clamps to secure dust boot back on when put your shaft back onto the stub shaft.

Replace Drive Shaft U-Joint Like a Pro
Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
Transmission Mount Replacement - RWD Cars