U JOINT ON PASSANGERS SIDE

• prizm2001
  • 1992 Ford F-150
  • automatic

Replaced ball joints on driver sie, pulled u-joint & shaft through knuckle so that it was out of the way when removing knuckle. Unable to repeat the sam process on passanger side. Do I need to remove the boot in order to slide out the whole shaft with u-joints. Even if I remove the u-joint in the knuckle the shaft is stil in the way of the ball joints. I need to remove knuckle completely in order to replace the ball joints.

Thursday, March 17th, 2011 AT 1:04 AM

• PROTECH1980
  • 928 posts

There are some clamps that you need to remove, They are called keystone clamps, Im gonna post a pic for you of the front axle

Thursday, March 17th, 2011 AT 1:18 AM
  • prizm2001

Are the keystone clamps reuseable? These are the small metal clamps holding the rubber boot on correct. Do I need to remove both clamps and if so will the shaft just slip out?
P.S. How do I remove the clamps, they look as if they need a special tool.

Thursday, March 17th, 2011 AT 4:36 AM
  • PROTECH1980
  • 928 posts

Yes just clip them off and discard clamps holding boot, slide boot out of way, this is were your shaft is splined into the stub shaft, just pop that shaft your trying to remove off that stub shaft and continue with R&R of ball joints, you can get yourself a couple thin metal hose clamps to secure dust boot back on when put your shaft back onto the stub shaft.

Thursday, March 17th, 2011 AT 9:21 PM