1992 Chevrolet Van fuse panel

JO0508
  • 1992 CHEVROLET VAN
Are there anything wrong with adding a circult to the fuse panel using fuse taps?Are they safe?
Thursday, July 3rd, 2014 AT 7:10 PM

GM used to be pretty good about providing switched and unswitched terminals in their fuse boxes, and they were labeled. If you have those, that's the best choice. The taps you're referring to do work but they can spread the terminal in the fuse box because you're, in effect, making the blade of the fuse twice as fat. That wont be a problem until you want to remove that tap, then you may have an intermittent connection on that fuse.

If you do use the tap, place it on the hot terminal. That way the added current for your new device wont go through the existing fuse and potentially overload it. To find the hot terminal, just pull the fuse out, then use a voltmeter or test light to see which terminal has 12 volts on it. That's the one to use.

Also be aware that some devices, like power inverters, can generate signals that interfere with the computers on the vehicle. If you start having trouble with the dash gauges or other things not working properly, try tapping into a different fuse.
Thursday, July 3rd, 2014 AT 8:04 PM
JO0508
Funny you should say that tapping into some fuses would interfere with gauges. Because I tapped into a fuse with a tach gauge one time. The fuse was marked alt. When I started the vehicle the mph gauge started to rise and when I went to shut the engine down it wouldnt shut off for like 4 or 5 seconds later after turning the key.
Thursday, July 3rd, 2014 AT 8:57 PM
Funny YOU should mention that. I built a real lot of "bugs" into a dozen donated vehicles for my students to diagnose. We spent a lot of time on charging systems, and one of the bugs was on a '98 GMC truck. Part of the diagnosis involved testing the 12 volts supply for the generator, and that came through the "Battery" light on the gauge cluster, and it was fed from the "Gauges" fuse.
Thursday, July 3rd, 2014 AT 10:06 PM
JO0508
You say make sure to place the tap on the hot side of the terminal.I think you might be thinking of the clip on type.I would understand how that would be done on that type.I will be using a different type of tap. With this tap how will I know if I place it on the hot side of the terminal.I think I will need to line the wire up with the terminal that is hot. Would this be correct?
Thursday, July 3rd, 2014 AT 10:28 PM
That type is not going to stretch the terminals in your fuse box because you're not doubling up any terminal. On this style, the wire is attached to the terminal on the left. You wont even need a voltmeter or test light. Just install the insert with no fuse. The pigtail will supply power to your accessory when you have the unit inserted the right way. The original circuit will work normally when you pop the fuse in.

Getting it right isn't a real big deal. The concern is lets say you're putting this tap in place of a 10-amp fuse and that circuit actually draws five amps. If your added-on circuit draws six amps, you'll blow the ten amp fuse.
Friday, July 4th, 2014 AT 1:17 AM
JO0508
Ok, Thank you.
Friday, July 4th, 2014 AT 10:55 PM