1992 Park Avenue misfires, Idles rough. No acceleration

CHEFWC09
  • 1992 BUICK PARK AVENUE
I have a 1992 Park Aveneue base model that stalled on me while idleing. Tried to restart, baterry was dead. Replaced battery, now the care sounds like out of timing, running extremely rough, missing and will barely accelerate. Any suggestions, can this be a low voltage /cable problem from the battery?
Monday, September 24th, 2012 AT 3:41 PM

KHLOW2008
After the battery is disconnected, the PCM needs to relearn and I believe this is the problem you are facing.

This pronblem would be prolonged if the idle control system is not working as well as it should. If you clean the throttle body and IAC, the problem should go away much faster.

You would need to test the alternator charging as well since the battery died while the engine was running.
Monday, September 24th, 2012 AT 4:11 PM
CHEFWC09
Thank you for your response.I have also heard that a loose or corroded cable or connection from the battery can cause this also? I will clean those and hope that resolves it. Thought it was strange that the car ran fine until the battery issue. Will let you know if it worked. Thanks again
Monday, September 24th, 2012 AT 5:12 PM
KHLOW2008
You are welcome.

Hope this fixes the problem.
Monday, September 24th, 2012 AT 5:51 PM
CHEFWC09
Hello KHLow2008.I tried what you asked, but the car is still is running the same way. It is really acting like an electrical issue, so I am going to be checking the alternator like you asked. Question is, can a bad alternator be causing this due to a low voltage issue?
Thursday, September 27th, 2012 AT 7:01 PM
KHLOW2008
Yes it can. Voltages are important for electronic control modules and any difference can mean a wrong signal being received.
Thursday, September 27th, 2012 AT 7:08 PM
CHEFWC09
Thanks.I will have it checked out and check for any voltage issues. Thanks again
Thursday, September 27th, 2012 AT 7:11 PM
KHLOW2008
Keep us posted of the results.
Thursday, September 27th, 2012 AT 8:08 PM
RICHPRAETORIUS
This is probably a problem created by a bad crankshaft sensor. It is a Hall Effect sensor located on the crank that sets the timing for the engine. I had this issue at 125k miles. The engine would only run well at certain RPMs, and would kill itself at others.
Sunday, January 6th, 2013 AT 4:29 PM
KHLOW2008
Thank you for the input. It is possible but we should not be jumping to conclusion and start replacing components without the basic checks.

Since problem started after battery replacement, we should be going along that line and if it is a sensor problem, most probably the engine computer would detect it and trigger the Check Engine Light or store the trouble codes.
Sunday, January 6th, 2013 AT 7:51 PM