1991 Plymouth Acclaim power

MADMAN666
  • 1991 PLYMOUTH ACCLAIM
Im having a problem I had my alternator rebuilt and got a new battery but the battery is not getting recharged my the alternator
Monday, November 3rd, 2014 AT 8:35 PM

The first thing to do is connect a test light to the battery negative post, then, with the engine running, touch the probe to the metal housing of the alternator. If the test light lights up, repair the corroded ground cable between the alternator and engine block. The alternator is mounted on rubber bushings on that engine to reduce vibration. Those bushings insulate it so it needs that extra ground strap.

If the light doesn't light up, measure the voltages on the two smaller terminals on the back of the alternator. This has to be done with the engine running. One will have full battery voltage, (around 12 volts). The other one must have less, but not 0 volts. Typically you'll find between 4 - 11 volts. That voltage will tell us where to go next.
Monday, November 3rd, 2014 AT 9:41 PM
MADMAN666
Where is the voltage regulator on a 91 Plymouth acclaim
Tuesday, November 4th, 2014 AT 1:13 AM
It's built into the Engine Computer by the battery and has an extremely low failure rate. If the circuit between that pin and the alternator is open, as in a corroded connector terminal, you'll get a diagnostic fault code "Field not switching properly".
Tuesday, November 4th, 2014 AT 2:08 AM
MADMAN666
My car is old I have a small box not a really computer
Tuesday, November 4th, 2014 AT 7:40 AM
I drive an '88 Grand Caravan and let my newer stuff sit. Your Engine Computer sits right next to your battery, just like on my van.

Did you do any of the tests I listed? This is a really easy system to diagnose and repair. Three voltage tests will tell you everything you need to know about where to look for the cause of the problem.
Wednesday, November 5th, 2014 AT 3:16 AM