CAM timing

STITCHES
  • 1991 NISSAN TRUCK

I have a 1991 Nissan truck w/ 2.4L (ka24e)engine. I replaced the head gasket. The timing chain slipped on the crank. I am not sure witch way. How do I time in the cam? The truck purrs like a kitten, but has a slow throttle response.

Sunday, November 21st, 2010 AT 6:43 AM

2CARPROS KEN

There are timing chain diagrams to show you how to install the chain and camshaft and crankshaft marks. (BELOW)

Here are the procedures and steps that are not relevant should be skipped.

Removal

1. Remove front cover. Carefully remove chain tensioner. DO NOT lose spring. Remove chain guides. Remove camshaft sprocket bolt, ensuring camshaft does not rotate. Remove timing chain and camshaft sprocket.

CAUTION:DO NOT rotate camshaft or crankshaft with timing chain
disconnected.

2. Remove oil slinger (if equipped). Remove oil pump drive gear (note installation direction). Remove crankshaft sprocket. Remove chain guide and tensioner.

Installation

1. Ensure No. 1 piston is at TDC of compression stroke. Camshaft knock-pin should be at 12 o'clock position. Align silver timing chain link with punch mark on sprocket.

2. Install timing chain onto crankshaft sprocket. Align marks on timing chain with marks on crankshaft sprocket. See Fig. 6. Both sprocket timing marks will be toward left of engine. Install chain guide and tensioner. Adjust chain guide tensioner.

3. Install oil pump drive gear onto crankshaft with large chamfered inner face toward rear. Install oil slinger (if equipped). To complete installation, reverse removal procedure.

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken

PS, Here are the marks for the six cylinder as well.

https://www.2carpros.com/diagrams/nissan/pickup/1991

Wednesday, November 29th, 2017 AT 5:33 PM
RGINSBERG
  • 1994 NISSAN TRUCK

1994 Nissan Truck 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 220000 miles

How do I set the valve cam timing to TDC?

Wednesday, November 29th, 2017 AT 5:35 PM (Merged)
MERLIN2021

Is your timing chain still OK?

2CARPROS KEN

Here are the marks for the six cylinder as well.

Cheers, Ken

Wednesday, November 29th, 2017 AT 5:37 PM
SHIMMAN35
  • 1989 NISSAN TRUCK

I have a 1989 nissan pickup with timing issues. I had to replace the water pump and upon doing so, my dad attempted to remove the crankshaft pulley becuase the haynes manual said to. I think he messed the timing up. He couldnt get it off so now he cut the bottom timing belt cover off completely, yeah cut it off, it will not be going back on and this had the timing mark on it. I still do not know how it got out of time, the only thing messed with the crankshaft pulley. My? Is since there is no mark (on the bottom timing belt cover which is no more) but there are the marks on the crankshaft pulley itself. If all the marks were in tact and corrcet and I shot a light on it, how does one adjust the timing to get it back on the TDC/marks. There is a square looking, I guess distributor but its not the round style. Its a VG301 engine V6. What do I do and mainly what Do I turn to advance or retard the timing?

Wednesday, November 29th, 2017 AT 5:37 PM (Merged)
SHIMMAN35

Also my transimission is shifting correctly and the enigne when I try to climb a hill is pinging like a bad gas ping does but its supper loud. I assume this is all tied to the timing issue?

Wednesday, November 29th, 2017 AT 5:38 PM (Merged)
KHLOW2008

To adjust the timing, loosen the distributor holding bolts and rotate clockwise or anticlockwise it to get the desired ignition timing.

You need the marker on the timing belt cover to get the correct timing. Without the marks, you would have to remove the pulley to check the crank pulley timing mark for TDC and then make your mark on the cover.

On the pulley, the first mark on the left of pulley is 0 with increment of 5 degrees.

Ignition timing should be 10-14 degrees at 650-800 rpm.

The pinging indicates the ignition timing is most likely too advanced.

The Knock sensor might not be retarding the timing when it senses detonation/spark knock

SHIMMAN35

So I guess the square looking thing that all the plug wires are going to is the distributor and can also turn like the round style ones can?

SHIMMAN35

Thanks for all your input!