HOW DO I FIX A OIL LEAK THAT I CANT FIND WHERE ITS COMING FROM.

• PARKS55
  • 1991 Nissan 300ZX

When the oil leak began there was a lot of black smoke coming from the exhaust The car when started after I clean the spark plugs runs fine for bout half and hour then it starts to sound like it has a miss in the engine then the black smoke comes from the exhaust. What can be the problem with the engine. I bought a new engine seal kit for it and was wondering if changing the seals would fix the problem.

Thursday, December 8th, 2011 AT 6:29 PM

• Jacobandnickolas

Black smoke usually indicates a rich fuel mixture. As far as the oil leak, you can get a dye to add to the oil. Drive the vehicle and then check for the leak with a black light. The dye will glow.

Thursday, December 8th, 2011 AT 6:35 PM
  • Dkblue300ZX

Easy enough to see a leak off a manifold, try placing cardboard under the engine area so the drippings will probably show. The black light system does work on small crack leaks like on a transmission case or a cracked engine block, good luck.

Monday, January 23rd, 2012 AT 10:07 PM