FREEZE PLUG

1991 Chevrolet Blazer

santanlady

June, 6, 2014 AT 7:23 AM

I have a blown freeze plug in the front left side of the engine. I have one mechanic that says "no problem" I can just tap in a new one. Another says, the engine will have to be dropped to get to it. Which one is true? Would chevy be really stupid enough to place these where you would have to drop the engine? I am a true long time chevy owner, please tell me "it ain't so"!

Jacobandnickolas

June, 6, 2014 AT 9:25 AM

Yes, all manufacturer's put some of them in places that are very tight and hard to get to. If you have someone that can replace it without lifting or removing the engine, do it. Also, the worst part is trying to get a hammer to fit so you can tap it into place. In this situations, I recommend using a rubber plug. It fits into the opening and then by tightening a nut, it expands and seals. It is usually easier than trying to find the room to hammer.

NOTE: Some vehicles have freeze plugs between the trans and engine which require removal of one or the other. Your vehicle shouldn't be nearly as bad.

santanlady

June, 6, 2014 AT 1:57 PM

Thanks so much for your answer.

Jacobandnickolas

June, 6, 2014 AT 7:59 PM

Your welcome. Let me know how things work out for you.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Super Duty
 Oil Change and Filter Replacement Subaru
Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Tahoe 2015
Oil and Filter Replacement Subaru Legacy
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevy Silverado
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Toyota