WHY DOES MY CAR DIE SHORTLY AFTER STARTING?

1990 Toyota Corolla

alaina_rocha

September, 14, 2012 AT 12:13 AM

Lright here is a little bit of history. I had the radiator and thermostat replaced in my car and a few days later the check engine light came on. I pulled up the diagnostic codes which were 12 and 21. Googled those codes and 12 had something to do with the rpm signal from the distributor which a friend adjusted and the light went off. A few days later the light scame on again, at which point I replaced the O2 sensor and changed the oil while at it. The light went off once again. A few days later I started the car and was backing up when it started sputtering, then the check engine and oil light came on at the same time and the car died. Checked the oil and it was fine. What could cause this?

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

September, 14, 2012 AT 2:29 AM

Did the car overheat? It may have damaged the motor.

Start with basics, fuel pressure, compression and spark tests.

Code 12 is normal with key on engine off. Nothing he did changed this code. 21 is tps which could need adjusting, could be bad or wiring issue.

September, 14, 2012 AT 11:46 AM

Did you erase the previous codes and recheck them again?

alaina_rocha

September, 15, 2012 AT 2:26 AM

My dad help me adjust the timing today and that seemed to do the trick! The light is off for now.

September, 15, 2012 AT 7:44 AM

How did he do that? I believe you have an idling fault and cleaning the throttle body and IAC coupled with adjusting the idling speed would solve the prioblem

If you keep adjusting evrything, you stand the chances of getting everything out of specs if you do not have any equipment to take readings.

alaina_rocha

September, 15, 2012 AT 6:49 PM

I think you are right, drove the car today and it died every time I came to a stop

elizabethmcdaniel

October, 10, 2012 AT 1:54 AM

I just went through this same ordeal, what finally fix my car it was the ignition coil, it had a crack in it. I got the part at auto zone for $40.00 thats with tax, and had it replaced for 45 dollars labor

October, 10, 2012 AT 2:00 AM

Thanks for the input.