I NEED TO REPLACE THE DRIVERS AND PASSENGER DOOR LOCKS

1990 Mercury Topaz

rachel24b

June, 9, 2012 AT 4:27 PM

I purchased the car from an old lady yesterday and there are no locks. She said someone tried to break into it, so there's just holes where they should be. The drivers side door handle doesn't work either so I need to open it from the passenger side. I obviously also have no way to lock the car because if I do, I can't get back in : -(. Please help! This is my first car ever and I don't want someone to steal it. Thanks A lot

Rachel

Door Locks

Door Locks Are Not Working

hmac300

June, 9, 2012 AT 5:09 PM

Remove door trim panel and watershield. Refer to Section 01-05.
Remove clip retaining lock cylinder rod to lock cylinder.
Pry lock cylinder retainer out of slot in door.
Remove lock cylinder from door. This clip may be hard to put on you will normally need like large screwdriver to poundit on from teh back. The rod will be held by a clip, if it's missing they are readily available at auto parts stores, ther eis a left and right side to the clips.

hmac300

June, 9, 2012 AT 5:10 PM

There will be a thing that the button or door handle hits against. Alot of times just lubing it with penetrating oil or wd40 willfree it up along with working it back and forth by hand

hmac300

June, 9, 2012 AT 5:13 PM

Lyube all the stuff in the box if you can as well as linkage. This drawing is from a 92 but close enough for yours. If the sheet metal h as been pounded out by lock you'll need to fix that before installing the new ones.

Wiper Blade Replacement Scion XD
Windshield Wiper Blade Replacement Acura TL
Windshield Wiper Replacement Kia Sportage
Windshield Wiper Replacement
Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon